81 boo wagon driveshaft help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbuck350

Apprentice
May 2, 2019
Brought a 87 Buick GNX regal for parts, 8.5 rear and driveshaft, Will the driveshaft fit in my wagon or will it be too short? Thanks

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Coupes, sedans and wagons all have the same wheelbase. Camino/Caballero are longer

Should be good.

Reactions: 1 users

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Welcome to the site, I love malibu wagons.

Edit: I think it might work, I thought wagons had the same wheelbase as el camino's, and I was wrong. As long your wagon has a TH350 or 2004r transmission, not a 700r4 (it's several inches longer)... The distance from the output yoke on the trans, and the yoke on the 8.5 GN rear, as installed in the GN, should be the same. So yes, it should fit. However the only way to know for sure is to get the rear in, and measure.

Now time for ball busting, you bought a GNX to use for parts on a Malibu? 😂

I hate to doubt you, but a GNX is like 80 grand minimum these days most are over 100 grand, there's two for sale near where I live one for 90k and the other 140k. They only made 547 of them and I highly doubt you bought one. If you did I'd love to see it. Probably just a regular Grand National, not that that's a bad thing... Grand Nationals are awesome, I have one, but a GNX is a whole other beast. Much rarer and has a bunch of cool parts that no other G body including the far more common regular Grand Nationals have.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

blackbuck350

Apprentice
May 2, 2019
Welcome to the site, I love malibu wagons.

Edit: I think it might work, I thought wagons had the same wheelbase as el camino's, and I was wrong. As long your wagon has a TH350 or 2004r transmission, not a 700r4 (it's several inches longer)... The distance from the output yoke on the trans, and the yoke on the 8.5 GN rear, as installed in the GN, should be the same. So yes, it should fit. However the only way to know for sure is to get the rear in, and measure.

Now time for ball busting, you bought a GNX to use for parts on a Malibu? 😂

I hate to doubt you, but a GNX is like 80 grand minimum these days most are over 100 grand, there's two for sale near where I live one for 90k and the other 140k. They only made 547 of them and I highly doubt you bought one. If you did I'd love to see it. Probably just a regular Grand National, not that that's a bad thing... Grand Nationals are awesome, I have one, but a GNX is a whole other beast. Much rarer and has a bunch of cool parts that no other G body including the far more common regular Grand Nationals have.
Yes I know I that’s the only thing good was the rear of the car it was completely totaled, front and sides were trashed

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Doesn't the GNX have special suspension brace part of the 8.5"? Anything short of complete pancake still might worth restoring the GNX.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Doesn't the GNX have special suspension brace part of the 8.5"? Anything short of complete pancake still might worth restoring the GNX.

It's built into a special differential cover that only the GNX's came with. And you're absolutely right, using a real GNX for a parts donor for an everyday run of the mill (no offense) g body is a foolish thing to do. I still doubt very much that it's the real deal, I want to see pictures of the rear and the dash, and the rest of the car... No matter how mangled.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's built into a special differential cover that only the GNX's came with. And you're absolutely right, using a real GNX for a parts donor for an everyday run of the mill (no offense) g body is a foolish thing to do. I still doubt very much that it's the real deal, I want to see pictures of the rear and the dash, and the rest of the car... No matter how mangled.
I guess this is what the GNX rear setup looks like. No mistaking this setup. However, I think someone makes an aftermarket assembly.
28_12.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
GN, GNX, black turbo car, what's the difference?

:banana:

No difference. Lately I have even heard that the GN was “just an appearance package”.

• Haha

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Yes, I should have added that it will work if you're using the same type trans as the GN had (assumed to be a 2004R, but COULD have been changed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor