BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
  • Creative
  • Clever
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thats the truth. I told the wife, "yeah, I'm not rebuilding the little engine, it'll cost about the same to do the big one"

About 2-3 times more. Once it gets all the latest pieces.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
  • Haha
  • Agree

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Sad to hear the old girl let go. Happy to hear there's a 4.1 build on the horizon! There better be some video down the line when she's installed. I want to hear that baby run and launch!

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Mike, the same same, tomato potato, lolo.

Hutch, I'll get vid and lots of pics. I've wanted to do a 4.1 stroker (4.5), not really RIGHT now, but whatever. I will eventually tear into the 3,8 a bit to find out what let go, but that may be in the fall. It gives me time to source some parts and save up the Benjamin's.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Just a bump, happy holidays all! I picked up a front cover and oil pump, just scored some 4.1/3.8 stg1 head studs. Need to sell more stuff to raise money for the engine girdle.

I'll also be working on my cousin dirt track car this winter. I'll take some pics off the parts I bought thus far and post em.

Reactions: 5 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Good morning all! I hope you all had a great turkey day and are all set up for xmas if that's your thing. I personally can't wait till its all over, lol. Anyhow, Been slowly putting stuff on FleaBay to make money fort his build. I've picked up some ARP head studs for a good deal.

My next purchases will be a roller cam, GM roller lifters, GM dogbones, and a GM spider (retainer). This will be my roller cam conversion, using mostly OEM parts.

Pics to come!

Reactions: 5 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware!!

Here I am doing the FAST START ignition conversion. I pulled the cold side piping, intercooler and crank pulley, and the balancer. The pulley is an underdrive. I mounted the newer 4 wire crank sensor, I used a non adjustable one. Then added the fourth wire to the harness, added a relay so I can hotwire the ignition module. This just ensures that the module and coils get 13+ volts while the engine is running all the time. Everything is soldered and heat shrinked. I don't use mechanical connectors if I can help it. Now the pics.

31493864048_large.jpg

31493864049_large.jpg

31493864050_large.jpg

31493864051_large.jpg

31493864052_large.jpg

31493864053_large.jpg

31493864054_large.jpg

31493864055_large.jpg

31493864056_large.jpg

31493864057_large.jpg

31493864058_large.jpg

I am mounting the relay for the module hotwire under the module/coil bracket. Trying to keep all the junk off the firewall. I never got to splice in the newer module plug. I'll attempt to get that squared away during the week when i can get out there.
Here is the crank pulley too.

31493864061_large.jpg

31493864059_large.jpg
You must be one motivated individual! It looks like it will turn out very sweet. Nice job on the documentation. Good luck with getting her finished. Hope to see the finished product when you are done. Merry Christmas.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Well, I have ARP head studs (member on TB.com), and a new front cover from a 78Regal350. I sold some stuff on eBay, still selling to. Mainly sub 100 buck items I no longer need, or never used and are new. I order some 12" long drill bits to start the oiling system modifications on the block. I am also waiting on the fleaBay payments to buy some roller lifters (60degree V6 GM), dogbones and a spider. I am using a roller cam, maybe from full throttle, and GM roller lifters on this build. I'll order the pushrods once I am close to assembly.

I emailed RJC racing for a main girdle, 14 bolt. He said he is out and won't do a run yet. I wonder if gbody or other vendors have them on hand or if they are drop shipped from RJC? In any case, this could put a wrench in things, but we'll see. Seeing as how everything is on backorder so I'm sure I'll run into additional issues.

I swear I get some pics when they are work taking!

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I also want to do a roller cam conversion on my 4.1, so I will be watching intently :)

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor