BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Small update, I received the stronger struts, and they work like a charm! But, I've developed and intake oil leak at what appears to be the china rail. So, new gaskets are on order and I hope to get that sorted. I may make some modifications to the PCV hole while the intake is off to help with sucking oil.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Update, intake gaskets arrived. Last night I pulled the intake off, and it was the china rail leaking. I have cleaned the surfaces, liberally with brakeclean, acetone, and a brass wire brush. Used my trusty RightStuff for the rails and gasket, and bolted it back down. I still have to hook everything else up. Oh, and I replaced he knock sensor with a new OEM GM unit while I as there.

Here are some pictures just because, haha
20210602_155438.jpg 20210602_155434.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Well, I got it all back together. No oil leaks from the China rail at idle, but , I decided to clean the engine compartment to get rid of the oil mess, and in the process ruined my new TPS and my 3 Bar MAP. grrrr!!! So not happy. So, I ordered some new ones and they should be here Friday. Though I won't get to put them in till next week sometime.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Installed the new 3 bar MAP, along with the TPS. Set the voltage, and took it for a ride, all good. I did however notice I forgot to check a flag in the tune to allow the PCM to utilize both the 1 bar and 3 bar MAPs. So I did that, flashed a new tune, and I am ready for some nitrous tuning.
!
Now to get the bottle filled

Reactions: 5 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Well, unfortunately the wagon is done for the year! After spending all day the 18th, washing, claybar, buffing, ceramic sealer, waxing, I went for my Friday ride with the wife to get beer and adult slushies. A nice ride, 45-60 minutes one way usually, we just do it to spend time in the hot rod and go for the ride.

Not long after leaving my house, as we get to the bottom of the mountain, I got into it a little bit, and it seemed down on power. I said to my wife "something seems off, maybe its just me". We continue our ride, get beer and slushies, and turn around to come home. I romp on it a few more times and say somethings definitely wrong. Well, a mile or 2 after saying the I hear what sounds like at least 2 rods rattling around. It wasn't missing so I ruled out broken rocker shaft or valve springs for the noise, or even lifters. At this point we were still 12 miles from our house on the mountain, 2100ft elevation.

So I baby it and press on, by the time we get to the top pf the mountain, temps at 220, oil pressure is 5psi (normally 165-170 and 35+ respectively). I put the wagon in the garage and here she sits. My wife was surprised I didn't loose my sh*t, haha. I told her, I never rebuilt the engine and it was drag raced before I got it, so I figured it was when, and no if, it blew up from me turning the wick up more and more. Honesty, if she wasn't there, I probably would have done a nuclear burnout and windowed the block in spectacular fashion!

So, in conclusion, the engine is done. I didn't tear into it to look for the damage. There was no lean conditions or knock, as I data log every Friday run, so who knows what, but it wasn't the tune.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
With all that being said in the last post, I decided it was time to act on my desire all along, build a 4.1L stroker! By happenstance I was on faceballs marketplace and found a 4.1L block, 291 casting, with reconditioned 8445 casting (turbo) heads, for 300bucks! The block was bored .030" over (to 3.995"), magnafluxed and sonic checked already. Turns out it was an abandoned project from a few years ago by a guy, and he could afford to pay. I drove the 4 hours to Ohio and picked them up.

Upside it the more desirable 291 block, with the thicker deck (verse the 484). It has already been looked at. Now, it wasn't decked and align honed, which is perfect for when I get the stroker kit. I'll have it cleaned up to 4.00" bore, and decked to get it square and get my pistons where I need them. I would like to girdle it, or use steel center main caps. So it would require a hone or bore anyhow. The heads I'll gasket match/port and call it good. A roller cam is something I really would like also.

So, I will eventually start a new thread with the build (when money allows), and I'll insert some pictures below. I'll also put a want ad out as I need a front cover, and an oil pan (14 bolt).

Attachments

• 20210628_184151.jpg
    20210628_184151.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
  • 20210628_184157.jpg
    20210628_184157.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 144
  • 20210628_184201.jpg
    20210628_184201.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 150
  • 20210628_184223.jpg
    20210628_184223.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
  • 20210628_184239.jpg
    20210628_184239.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 148
  • 20210628_184303.jpg
    20210628_184303.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • 20210628_184306.jpg
    20210628_184306.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 135
  • 20210628_184332.jpg
    20210628_184332.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 16 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
With all that being said in the last post, I decided it was time to act on my desire all along, build a 4.1L stroker! By happenstance I was on faceballs marketplace and found a 4.1L block, 291 casting, with reconditioned 8445 casting (turbo) heads, for 300bucks! The block was bored .030" over (to 3.995"), magnafluxed and sonic checked already. Turns out it was an abandoned project from a few years ago by a guy, and he could afford to pay. I drove the 4 hours to Ohio and picked them up.

Upside it the more desirable 291 block, with the thicker deck (verse the 484). It has already been looked at. Now, it wasn't decked and align honed, which is perfect for when I get the stroker kit. I'll have it cleaned up to 4.00" bore, and decked to get it square and get my pistons where I need them. I would like to girdle it, or use steel center main caps. So it would require a hone or bore anyhow. The heads I'll gasket match/port and call it good. A roller cam is something I really would like also.

So, I will eventually start a new thread with the build (when money allows), and I'll insert some pictures below. I'll also put a want ad out as I need a front cover, and an oil pan (14 bolt).

I also have a 291 4.1 block on my turbo buick setup.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for your build. My block is 0.030 and has old hyper pistons and I dingle ball honed some light scuffing out when I re-ringed it.. I know I should put some forged 0.040 pistons in, but am not sure what.

Bummer on the engine failure.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I also have a 291 4.1 block on my turbo buick setup.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for your build. My block is 0.030 and has old hyper pistons and I dingle ball honed some light scuffing out when I re-ringed it.. I know I should put some forged 0.040 pistons in, but am not sure what.

Bummer on the engine failure.
I have noticed that, I follow your builds! I've always wanted to do one, so I'll save my pennies, and sell of my unused parts, to help fund the short block. The architecture is there already, so I just need to get the rest of the machine work done and buy parts. I will used forged pistons, molnor rods, and the eagle crank. I'm thinking the RJC girdle. Unsure on where I am going to get the cam from. At this point it's planning and research, as I don't have the cash to buy much more. I will do the block prep though, grind out the casting flash, oil system mods, etc., then gasket match the heads and port, since I have the tools and the parts already for hose tasks.

But, I am currently building a 355 SBC for my cousin's husband for his dirt pure stock car. That ill get most of my free time for a while as we only have a few hours a week to get together and do it.

Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I'll be looking for a front cover, and a 14 bolt oil pan. I'll add a posting the wanted section.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor