BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Small update, I scored some Heavy Duty Rocker Shafts, New rockers, and RJC Rocker Shaft Braces/reinforcements. The RJC braces only come in sets of 4, and I already have 4 on the old engine, so I will be able to have 6, 3 on each shaft. I'll use ARP studs for these

Here are the shafts, TA performance thick wall with new HD rockers.

20230411_122211.jpg

20230411_122219.jpg

20230411_122239.jpg

Roller cams are becoming available in small batches, that's my next purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Update! Scored a brand new never used 210/215 roller cam, PAC-1219 valve springs, Comp keepers and locks, along with a roller cam button. Super happy as these things (camshaft) are proving impossible to get. Now, to save up a few bucks more to get the stroker rotating assembly.

713374519.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

IMG_9267.jpg

imagejpeg_0.jpg

To be honest, my shop has been eating my time, and all available cash and then some. So this engine has been on pause for some time, the parts shortage definitely hasn't helped.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I have been slacking on looking for a roller. 210/215 is a great find.

I plan to drop in a roller in my Cutlass eventually, but have also noticed the struggle to get parts, and my flat tappet hasn't caused an issue yet.

Shop build is important too!

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have been slacking on looking for a roller. 210/215 is a great find.

I plan to drop in a roller in my Cutlass eventually, but have also noticed the struggle to get parts, and my flat tappet hasn't caused an issue yet.

Shop build is important too!
I probably could have went with a bigger cam with the 4.5L, but that snowballs, roller rockers, taller valve covers for clearance, I'd have to relocate my LS coils for clearance from the valve covers, yadda yadda. The 210/215 should be good with the TA HD shafts in the stock ported heads, and custom thick wall pushrods, and has made proven power so I'm good.

I really didn't want to do a flat tappet, it is a royal pain the rear to swap cams in this car with all the crap I have in it, I wanted one and done ya know?

And yes, having a shop with the lift again will make all this easier. I have more shop now than most attached to the house, but I'm getting old and don't like laying on the floor. :LOL:

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I probably could have went with a bigger cam with the 4.5L, but that snowballs, roller rockers, taller valve covers for clearance, I'd have to relocate my LS coils for clearance from the valve covers, yadda yadda. The 210/215 should be good with the TA HD shafts in the stock ported heads, and custom thick wall pushrods, and has made proven power so I'm good.

I really didn't want to do a flat tappet, it is a royal pain the rear to swap cams in this car with all the crap I have in it, I wanted one and done ya know?

And yes, having a shop with the lift again will make all this easier. I have more shop now than most attached to the house, but I'm getting old and don't like laying on the floor. :LOL:

If you have second thoughts about that sized cam when you do get the stroker in and want to get something bigger a little birdy might be interested-

I'm the little birdy haha!!

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
If you have second thoughts about that sized cam when you do get the stroker in and want to get something bigger a little birdy might be interested-

I'm the little birdy haha!!
Haha, I'll definitely keep you in mind! I had though of running a 220/220 or something similar, so we'll see!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Happy new year! I wish I had something new to add, but with the holidays, weather, and moving (kinda) into the new shop, I have nothing to post. I do however plan on getting the wagon back to the shop so I can troubleshoot the existing noise and possible work on the interior. I need 3+ grand to finish the engine, and as we all know money just isn't there yet. So, if I can bandaid the existing 3.8 for the season, I will.

Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Another update! Not having the cash, or waiting on parts to be available, has come in handy. I finally scored some NOS lifter retainers, or dogbones, for the roller cam conversion. If you recall, I am using GM roller lifters and dogbones in this engine. This was the final hard item to locate, as the pushrods will be custom made and are easily procured. Now to buy the rotating assembly!

20240215_091525.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor