BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Waiting on more parts. I have a thrust washer at the machine shop getting thinned out, and 2 on order.

I did receive my center support rings, and low/reverse piston faceplate though.
338fd3fda185c9e21a7106f58b43a1b1.jpg
c1d08a0b7caa4511ff9c5ee961618646.jpg

Here is the 1-2 accumulator block off plate also.
88ebd06598642998e74b55d28f1d349b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Are you all going off the CK performance book?

I'm questioning how long my 2004r is going to last behind the 4.1 in my wagon. Might be useful for me to grab that book, the few 5-10lb pulls I have made don't bode well for the future of that trans.

What are the main goals on this trans? Be able to run 9's or just build it to last? What power does the 3.8 put out?

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I am using the CK book, along with the service manual and a few online builds I followed. I have been running the 200-4r in various cars, with different power. I had one in my last wagon, 11-8's on 17" street tires, D5 convertor, and a 150 shot with a 350 horse ZZ motor. I put 100lbs of nitrous through that engine and trans. Only mild upgrades, shift kit, boost valve, and a recent stock friction rebuild.

I don't know the power of this engine yet, stock short block but with the TE-44, nitrous, alky, and all the other awesome stuff. I venture to guess low-mid 400 (as compared to other builds). Looking for high 10's-low 11's. the suspension may isn't set up for drag racing though so....

I upgraded a bunch of parts, so I want the trans to live into the tens. though like I said, I wont really be drag racing the car. Auto-X and road course are the events I will do.

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Finally recieved all the thrust washer. I was able to get .003" play, right in between the .002 and .004. I can now press forward with assembly.

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
What are all you doing to the trans?

I see accumulator blockoff, probably shift kit, standard performance rebuild parts?

My 2004R is a stock low performance valve body and all i did was cut the governor down to GN spec.

I just hit it with 10psi of my turbo 4.1 yesterday and my shifts are pretty loose. Its not slipping yet but I'd like to get it shifting a bit better before i turn the boost to 15. I was thinking the CK shift kit with GN servo but didnt know if there was anything else you were doing to make it live. I'd rather not pull the trans out of the car at this point.

http://www.ckperformance.com/View/S...-WITH-TURBO-BUICK-INTERMEDIATE-SERVO-ASSEMBLY

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I see accumulator blockoff, probably shift kit, standard performance rebuild parts?

My 2004R is a stock low performance valve body and all i did was cut the governor down to GN spec.

I just hit it with 10psi of my turbo 4.1 yesterday and my shifts are pretty loose. Its not slipping yet but I'd like to get it shifting a bit better before i turn the boost to 15. I was thinking the CK shift kit with GN servo but didnt know if there was anything else you were doing to make it live. I'd rather not pull the trans out of the car at this point.

http://www.ckperformance.com/View/S...-WITH-TURBO-BUICK-INTERMEDIATE-SERVO-ASSEMBLY

I've been peeking in from time to time on your build, I like it. My next engine will be a 4.1 stroker for the car., and with the EBL SFI-6, re tuning will be a breeze.

As far as the trans rebuild, I started with a BRF trans, so I have the good valvebody and governor already. I went with a street strip Master rebuild kit from CK, comes kolene plates and raybestos, exedy, borg warner good clutches, 3 friction 4th clutch pack, wide red band, and all new bushings, billet shaft forward drum, 10 vane front pump, billet anchor pin, etc. I've upgraded to the heat treated stator support, got a hardened sun shell, the CK shift kit with the bigger boost valve and springs and all , also the billet servo. I had to have a few thrust washers machined to tighten up the tolerances and other mods as recommended in his book, like the dual feed. I also picked up a pro-torque torque converter at a 2800 rpm stall speed (should stall a bit higher with 25lbs). I am running the 4l60e filter, and a custom made deep pan.

You could grab the CK kit, the GN servo, set the clearances (if not already correct) on the servo pin with the new servo for the .060", and see how it shifts. I wouldn't delete the accumulators at first though if the convertor is tight, it'll make for some violent shifts. the CK kit gives you a stiffer 1-2 spring if I remember right. Also, it is imperative that the TV system is correct, if not, you'll smoke the trans in short order. I have a gauge I use to ensure the TV is functioning properly after I install the trans. It's just a matter of enuring you have the right pressures at the right times.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I stayed after work last light at assembled the rear section (.003"), and got my clearance in the center section to .008", took a #10 thrust washer. So, I am assembled up to the center support. I have to torque the bolts and do those air checks today, and press on.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Dude, pretty sure I have a GN servo sitting here collecting dust, PM me if you want it.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Ok, got the CK billet servo in. The instructions for it call for .100 to .125" clearance, as measure without the lip seal and o ring, but with cushion springs. I set up a dial indicator and first got .150", so I TIGed up the tip, and ended up with .110".

Note, the stock servo calls for .060".

Air checked good. I have a yoke on the output, some drag when spinning, and locks up solid with air applied.http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5cb77de1b1d15/20190417_142907.mp4

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
So I ran into what could be a snag. I'm up to the front pump. After doing my air checks, I am checking the forward clutches in this hole, (7), and I am leaking air. I checked the center support out of the trans and all was good. Not sure what the deal is.

9d1f546724c096bc22a11e2adb4d022e.jpg

Anyone have a clue? I've been searching for 30 minutes and see nothing about it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor