BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware!!

I have a few different things going on with the car at one time. Like the door handles, headlight buckets, the 3 gauge A-pillar redo, doors, etc. I took some pics, but not a whole boatload.

As far as the A-pillar, when I made it, it had a smooth finish, while it looked good, it didn't really flow with the interior. When I moved the dash and the A-pillar to the Buick, the lower gauge pod hit the dash, I didn't like that either. So, I sanded the A-pillar, used my heat gun to get the fit just a little better, and heated up the lower pod to put a dent in it of sorts to keep it from putting pressure on the dash pad. After that, I used the 3M texture paint, and the SEM CAMEL.

31493864339_large.jpg

All four doors are done with the patches, rot/rust and dent repair. The jamb side where the skins are folded over have all new seam sealer on them. They all got 2 coats of EXTREME DTM (direct to metal)epoxy primer. I sanded that flat with some 280 paper, and sprayed 2 medium/heavy coats of Evercoat Slick Sand. The data sheet says this stuff has a 4-6 mil DFT (dry film thickness). Pretty thick stuff. My bodywork was already good to go, and I sanded it with 320 paper so there wasn't all sorts of scrathes to fill. Most of the slicksand will get sanded off. After I sand the slick sand flat, I'll put 2 coats of sealer over it and bring the doors home and hang them on the car to get the hinges adjusted and all.

31493864347_large.jpg

31493864348_large.jpg

31493864343_large.jpg

31493864342_large.jpg

31493864345_large.jpg

31493864344_large.jpg

I am using a 1.8mm fluid tip on the gun, but I will be buying a 2.0 or 2.5mm to use in the future. (bought a devilbiss finshline with a 2.2mm tip, and the dekups liners)I want to try and get the slicksand to lay a little flatter. It does flow out after like 5-10 minutes, but it still has a bit of orange peel to it.
31493864346_large.jpg

I have to sand the headlight bezels smooth, the re-prime those and the door handle and they should be ready for color.

I bought some new stuff from Eastwood too, A new Durablock kit, with some nice long blocks, some more guidecoat, rolls of adhesive backed sandpaper in different grits, I got a free can of PRE, and I got some Rust Encapsulator, to coat the bottom of the cargo pan.

I also picked up the GNX fender vents from a member of the turbobuick boards. These will get put in the fender, and made functional.
31493864341_large.jpg

31493864340_large.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

I got my GNX vents in, unsure of where on the fender they are gonna go. I also got all four doors home. I need to block down the slicksand, but I wanted to fit them back on the car to make sure everything is good, the tighten down the door hinges.

I also put the A-pillar in. :D

31493864364_large.jpg

31493864363_large.jpg

Sorry the pics are crappy!

Here are some of the doors and some new tools.
durablocks
31493864368_large.jpg

I like them better than the other blocks I have. Though every style block has it purpose!
31493864361_large.jpg

31493864357_large.jpg

31493864356_large.jpg

31493864355_large.jpg

The cardboard is the same shape and size as the vents. I dunno if I should put them above the body line closer to the top of the fender, or below the body line. My Dad, Brother and Son all say below. I am still unsure.
What do you guys think??

ABOVE
31493864354_large.jpg

BELOW
31493864353_large.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Pulled the header panel off to fix all the broken mounting tabs and lugs with some new fiberglass. The went on to undercoat the inside of the doors, especially the lower parts. The the can got effed up with like 1/3 can left ](*,) oh well, I got 2 doors done. Gotta go buy another can and door t kewl_pics.gif other doors. I also cut the glass bumper back so i can start the custom front fascia. I need to get it all fitted before i pull the fenders off to blast them.

Went out and did some more glass work to the header panel. Still fixing hole and lugs. I also mounted the glass bumper. It is 2 1/4 inches from the front of the header panel, nice and close. The bumper is for a Malibu so it is gonna take some glass work to get to fit nice, but the end result to be a nice looking front end, getting away from the big hokey bumper. I also have the Malibu spoiler I will be getting to fit, that may get mover forward a bit from stock, just to clean up the front, and it will get molded to the bumper to give it more of a 1 piece look, a modern feel to it.

Figured I'd add some pictures dancin_banana.gif

Header panel repair. They cured fiberglass will get shaped later.
Lug hole
31493864380_large.jpg

Behind grill lower right
31493864381_large.jpg

Pad for long long stud, it is like 30 pieces of mat stacked up to get the thickness I need, I'll round it off after it cures
31493864382_large.jpg

This is the tab for the lower right front, bolt to the fender
31493864383_large.jpg

Metal bumper off
31493864385_large.jpg

Glass tucked bumper, a little long ever after cutting 2 inches off the sides IMO
31493864384_large.jpg

I shorted the sides and mounted it tight to the header panel. I will be shaping the area under the lights to meet the top of the bumper.
31493864379_large.jpg

How far I want it to stick out forward, the sides will be flush and carry the lower body line forward.
31493864378_large.jpg

What do you guys think?
31493864377_large.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Well, I have been working on the glass bumper part of the new front "fascia". I had to redo the sides of the bumper to get the same sharp corner of the header panel, and lower body lines on the fender. After that, I'll be hacking up the Malibu air ####, and molding it to the bottom of the bumper. I want it all one piece. I'll be opening up the center of it, at the bottom, and panning it to the intercooler. Then down the line I'll have an opening for a front mount. My insperation is the CTS-V, with the mesh grill and lower opening, and the driving lights on the lower corners. I'll sort have the shape of the MCSS, since it flows better, but the openings and all will be like the caddy.

On a side note, I am going to get the lauren engineering body kit for the Buick wagon, so I can modify to flow with the lines better, and carry the wheel opening flares down to the rockers. The lauren kit is kinda plain, but I'll save me a ton of work from fabbing something from scratch. i was going to just extend the rockers, but for 299, I won't feel to bad cutting and glassing it to look like what I need.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Just some pics. Keep in mind I have a load of sanding and all to do. I am just trying to get all the pieces, cut, fitted, and 'glassed back together. I wanna get it on the car all in one piece, and one shape, before I go gung ho on the filler and primer. But it is more or less resembling a 2 headlight Monte SS nose, but different, :)

Here are some pics. You can see how the bumper has a different curve then the header, I'll be fixing that.

31493864402_large.jpg

31493864402_large.jpg

31493864387_large.jpg

31493864388_large.jpg

31493864392_large.jpg

31493864393_large.jpg

31493864395_large.jpg

31493864396_large.jpg

The part that bolts to the fender will get a aluminum backed larger flange.
31493864389_large.jpg

Here is the lower air damn, from a milibu, after getting hacked into four pieces so I can get the shapes, and the point of the header, all right. And to open it up for the intercooler.
31493864421_large.jpg

For the sides, I used cardboard, with a concave in it,then covered it in tape so i can use it as a form to hold the resin and mat. No worries, I ground it down with a 36grit roloc disc.
31493864419_large.jpg

31493864420_large.jpg

31493864417_large.jpg

31493864418_large.jpg

Here is the intercooler scoop under the rad support. I will be keeping the SLIC for now, till the build is done and I can afford to upgrade to a FMIC. It is a bit low, so I will be modifying it to tuck close to the bottom of the radiator support. I'll have to notch the panning to the scoop for the frame brace.
31493864423_large.jpg

Then I used some more cardboard/tape and hot glue to make a form for the flange for the intercooler opening.
31493864416_large.jpg

31493864415_large.jpg

31493864414_large.jpg

This is with the glass layed and all the cardboard and stuff pulled off. everything is running wild on the edges, still needs to get trimmed up.
31493864413_large.jpg

31493864412_large.jpg

As you can see I not going with the "drag" style, I am going more towards the "pro-touring" look. There just isn't nothing available for the Buick wagons like there is the Chevy. Lauren engineering sells some tacky stuff for it, I may buy a ground effects kit from them, just to hack it up and update the style and look. Or, I may just make something of my own. Depends on how much time/money I have to spend on it.

When the spring rolls around I have to get working on the wifes 1970 Monte Carlo,

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Tha all catches everyone up to where I am at.
Doors repaired
floors repaired, bedliner, fatmat-ed
engine/trans repaired
deep trans pan
wiring customized and repaired
GP dash in
door jambs painted
hinges rebuilt
fast start mod done
custom gas tank and fuel pump *ss'y
cowl and windshield rot fixed
new windshield
bucket seat mounts and console mounts in
Loads of stuff sanblasted and painted
Front fascia getting built and customized.

All inputs and views welcome! :mrgreen:

I went to the u-pull-it today. I bought the donor ECM for my future EBL upgrade, as soon as http://www.dynamicefi.com finishes it, I'll be upgrading! Man I can't wait. I loved the EBL in my Malibu wagon, and getting it for the turbo car, being able to use the LS MAF, and keeping SFI! \:D/

I also picked up a newer style HVAC controls, the knob style, out a a cavalier. I hate the sliders, they are poorly lit, and limit where I can put them. The cavalier still has a cable for the temperature blend door, but the way it comes out give me more mounting options.

I also got an LED third brake light from a donor GM vehicle, I am unsure or how, or where, I am going to put it. Somewhere in or around the rear window spoiler.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Amazing amount of progress, Jim. I'm totally amazed. I was going to suggest the Fatmat, but I see that you had already discovered it. I didn't realize that your Malibu wagon became a donor car for the Buick. Well, ya gotta do what you think is right. I was also going to suggest a picture of the artist next to his work. Lo and behold, there you are.... :lol:
All I can is...no grass grows under your feet...you're like the white tornado... :lol:
Thanks for posting your progress pics. I may be picking your brain on a couple of thing soon. Keep up the good work.
BTW, I like the color that you shot the door jambs with. The car is going to look awesome.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Awesome! Glad to see you made it over here!

Following your build thread was pretty much the only reason I went on MalibuRacing... Thanks for saving me the trip! :lol:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Thanks guys. This is of course a culmination of all the posts from MR, so I hope they still make sense!

Jack, the Malibu had so much rot in the wrong places, I decided it had to go. Besides, the Buicks lower body lines allow me to make a lower body kit/ground effects look good, since the bottom of the car sucks in. Not like a Malibu when it swells out first, then rolls in. I am a huge fan on the CTS-V sport wagon, Magnum RT8, the Monte SS and the GNX. So they all have a bit of influence on my style choice.

The color is a Mitsubishi Eclipse color, super expensive. I'll be using either the PPG DBC, it'll be 686.00 a gallon, or the Dupont which is the same price about, that would give me 2 sprayable gallons, but i think I'll need 2.5 for complete and even color coverage, this color has some translucence to it.

Jack, Black, ask me anything you'd like. You know I'll help if I can! I have some more pics to upload to cardomain, then to here. Here it is windy, like 50 MPH right now, I am not into the mood to really do anything today on the Buick.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Here is another shot with the fascia fit on real quick. The fender filler is a cut-off from the Malibu Air Damn. I won’t be using this since it don’t fit worth a crap! I’ll be building a new one, something that carries the factory fender flare all the way down. I also have to wrap the corners around to the fender yet.
31493864439_large.jpg

Here is the intercooler opening getting trimmed up.
31493864438_large.jpg

Here is the RH side getting wrapped around to meet the fender
31493864437_large.jpg

This is the RH side before getting formed up and wrapped around.
31493864436_large.jpg

After wrapping it around
31493864435_large.jpg

More of the intercooler opening getting cleaned up.
31493864434_large.jpg

The square piece of cardboard is to simulate a square opening I was think of putting in there. Then I was gonna make a square filler with a round hole for the driving lights I have. I would end up painting it black. O using the same mesh as the grills, and cutting it to fit the square hole , then a round hole in it, for the lights. I just don’t think round holes would look good. Thoughs??
31493864433_large.jpg

Another with the sides wrapped around.
31493864432_large.jpg

My cardboard template for the fender fillers.
31493864430_large.jpg

This line represents where the flare will go. I have to lay some glass on the template, the fit it on the car, then spray foam, then shape the flare, then glass over it.
31493864429_large.jpg

The template covered in masking tape, all braced with stiff cardboard and hot glue on the backside to keep its shape while the glass cures.
31493864428_large.jpg

This is the upgraded ECM for my LC2 turbo Buick. I am getting another EBL for this car. As soon as Bob R finishes it up, it will get modded into this ECM. More on this later. http://www.dynamicefi.com
31493864427_large.jpg

31493864426_large.jpg

Here is the donor 3rd brake light from a 93 up Chevy Suburban. It works and is all LED’s. I haven’t decided on how I am going to mount it.
31493864425_large.jpg

This is the newer style HVAC controls. It is sitting in the console right now, though I am redoing the dash insert. I think it will go in there, I need to make room for the touchscreen.
31493864424_large.jpg

The Qp housing ends, nowhere to put the seals. I bought some adapters from a maliburacing member, slimbo. Hopefully I can get the rear together.
31493864431_large.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor