BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
5030b045f01e670bd435af52423ad98c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Finally fixed the rear drain plug leak, I had to is one of those rubber/ metal gaskets.

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Took the 4th clutch piston down to 1.630" to fit another friction.
a67a1033c1b762f19a8943eceb161934.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good , Jim.
What brand of bushing drivers did you use? I notice some sets do not have all the needed sizes. What do you recommend? I really can't go for a big buck set...like a Kent- Moore set.
I also have a new Teflon bushing for my pump. I already drilled out the drainback holes and pressed out the stator support to replace with the new hardened stator support.
I'm also going to retain the 7-vane rotor and vanes which are like brand new.

Reactions: 1 user

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, in work I have 4 different kitsch on bushing drivers. I have used something from each so far. So, I think it's hard to pinpoint one kit [emoji35].

I finished up the overrun assembly. Working on the center support now.

I mistakenly opened up the plastic thrust bearing oil feed hole on the cap plug of the stator support to .065" instead of .045". So, I had to pull it out and peen the hole closed to fix it.

So far all the parts look pretty damn good, no blueing or overr heating.

Reactions: 6 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks Jim,
Yeah, you're right. different kits have various odd sizes of drivers. Worse comes to worse, I may just end up going to a transmission shop and have them drive out the old bushings and press in the new ones. Also, who did you get your overhaul kit from? I was thinking of possibly just going with CK.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, I have been using bushing dri ers, sockets, etc. At work we have most everything. I dont have all the bushing drivers at home.

I got my kit from CK. I did have an issue with the center support shaft iron rings, the replacements. I broke them trying to lock them back together. Ughh, the originals were in good shape, and mic'ed close to the new ones, so I will re-use them. They also went on easier. Maybe they were a different iron?

Anyway, I only needed 2 since I'm dual feeding the direct.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jim,
I know sockets can be an alternative to driving bushings in and out. What I like about drivers is that they have a step in them to keep them positioned from slipping.
I had to get a replacement center support. Some nimrod took a chunk out of the original one. When I tried to take the iron rings off to transfer them onto the replacement, I also broke the locking tabs on all three. I did end up getting three replacements. I have heard of guys using solid Teflon rings. I'm sure they can be a bear to get on compared to split or scarf cut rings.
The iron rings are brittle.

I need Teflon rings for the turbine shaft. I'd also would like to replace those with solid rings. They do take a little finagling to get on.
Thanks for your suggestion.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Jack, that stinks! At least I'm not the only one who broke them. I was going to use teflon, but the most I read they weren't necessary, and wore the drum faster. I dont know one way or the other.

I am doing a little hear and there as I have time, I hope to get it done through next week.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor