BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon More Parts, More Pics! Update 4/17/1

One of the front upper control arms in the blast cabinet.

qeqy5e9e.jpg

One of the front upper control arms blaster. I am using Black Diamond from Tractor Supply. Man this stuff cuts fast. :D

ery3ypu9.jpg

9e3ydary.jpg

I'll run the blaster over them again after I put the bushing in, to get rid of the oil and stuff from my fingers right before I paint them.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon More Parts, More Pics! Update 5/2/14

Those control arms look 100% better. Man, I could use a blast cabinet bigtime. Thanks for the heads up on Black Diamond media blast.
Ya gotta love Tractor Supply.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona

Hi Jim,

I apologize, I didn't even know you had a build thread. Guess I need to get out and see how the rest of the world lives once and a while. :roll:

Man, you have a lot of work in this car. A lot of neat ideas and articulate use of others. 8)

Any way, the car looks great, I'm curious as to where you think you are build completion/driveable wise?

Don't mind me, I'm just slippin on my own sweat.

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :)

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Longroof79 said:
Those control arms look 100% better. Man, I could use a blast cabinet bigtime. Thanks for the heads up on Black Diamond media blast.
Ya gotta love Tractor Supply.

Jack, I love my blast cabinet. Took some modifications to get it where it is now, but it is worth it. The black diamond is cheap, about 8 bucks a 50lb bag. Where aluminum oxide is 50 bucks-ish for 50lbs.

Scott, glad you had a chance to glance through thread. I have been at this car a few years, I am shooting to be driving it by the winter. The interior won't be 100%, but I will be driving it!

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Got the front end and doors off, and the car high up on jack stands. I am gonna start pulling the body off.

7yzamu7y.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Almost there, I have to remove the gas tank and body bolts, then onto lifting the body off the chassis. :D

ejuja3a8.jpg

I'll be redoing the engine wiring harness, what a mess.

ube9ynup.jpg

sumy6aje.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Got the body mounts out, broke 2 bolts, the ones right after the rear. Got the body about 8 inches off of the chassis. My father will stop over tonight, and him, my son and I will get it high enough in the air to get the chassis out from under it.

It was dark out so the pictures aren't the best :?

8a3arasu.jpg

yvydy6yr.jpg

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

HAFROD said:
Now I wish I would not have used POR15 on my lower a-arms. This build thread is AWESOME!

Thanks!

I just think the stuff is good if you use it over heavy rust that you didn't remove. I have been blasting or dipping all my parts, so I will no longer use this stuff on clean metal.

Last edited:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis

Awesome progress, Jim!
I guess I'd rather have body bolts break off than have the cages break and just spin...

Keep up the good work!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor