BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware!! update 3/16/1

nice progress!!

That adjustable spacer is a real good idea!! Never thought of that before.

I should probablly hit the 'yard by my house for the dual piston blazer setup before they crush them all :roll: :lol:

83hurst-olds

G-Body Guru
Oct 19, 2010
near Oklahoma City, OK
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware!! update 3/22/1

I would let you work on my cars. Very nicely done. It is obvious you take pride in what you do and strive to do it right. You seem to get around stumbling blocks a lot quicker than I do. I guess that comes with experience and/or your abilities with other tools/methods.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

I agree. Jim's a very capable guy. Knowledgeable, and practices a high level of workmanship. I'm envious of his skills.
In other words, you da man, Jim. :wink:

Great work so far, Jim. I'm following your build thread religiously.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada

yeah, I wish I had something more constructive to say than "this is awesome". I've been following this thread and am amazed each time he posts!
good work! We can all learn from your great example!

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Thanks guys! :mrgreen: I've redone a many cars out of my garage and my fathers, so I have learned a thing or two. I try to remember my mistakes you know?

Anyhow, not much progress today. I made some rubber isolators for those spring cups. I am waiting for the rear disc brakes to come so I can hack those up, lol. But I did make a welding cart for my little lincoln. I got tired of carrying that thing around!

I really am getting impatient for spring, I would like to wrap the front fascia up, so I can get moving with the rest of the body. I have still got to sell some stuff off so I can buy the so called ground effects from Lauren Engineering so i can hack those up too, lol.

On a side not, I plan on making a few picture/video write ups for folks. like the rear disc brakes, how to adjust doors, how to pull glass. Just a few things I haven't seen posted yet I don't think, and something I think would help folks out.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up 56K beware!! update 3/16/1

3XBrownCutty said:
nice progress!!

That adjustable spacer is a real good idea!! Never thought of that before.

I should probablly hit the 'yard by my house for the dual piston blazer setup before they crush them all :roll: :lol:

The adjustability of having those spacers is the best. They cost more per corner then just getting a spring, but I have a big stereo and all, so being able to adjust the ride height bag there is great. I had air bags and didn't like them. I have the adjustable spring cups in the front too, but I have to come up with a way to make the big adjusting "nuts" easier to get too.

The blazer calipers are iron, most guys run the LS1 or C5 aluminum PBR's, but I ran into these and will use them. If I find a set of LS1's or C5's cheap, and I mean cheap, I'll make a new adapter bracket and run them instead. Either way, this bucket should stop when I hit the whoah pedal! :twisted:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

liquidh8 said:
On a side note, I plan on making a few picture/video write ups for folks. like the rear disc brakes, how to adjust doors, how to pull glass. Just a few things I haven't seen posted yet I don't think, and something I think would help folks out.
==========================================================================================================
Jim,
Thanks again for being willing to share your knowledge and experience with us. It's very much appreciated. Infact, I could see you teaching advanced automotive classes such as in UTI, Wyotech, etc.
Even though some of us have worked on cars for many years, there's still much to be learned...different methods of approach, etc.
Keep up the good work.
Talk to you soon.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Thanks Jack, I too have more to learn. :D

Small update, nothing big. I got my LS1 rear brakes in the mail. So when I get some time, I'll be modding the brackets/backing plates to fit the big bearing Ford housing. I know there are brackets out there for it, LS1 calipers to Big bearing ford, but I want to retain the e-brake.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero

Nothing really new as far as progress on the Buick. I did finally get the Malibu wagon all apart and stripped, sitting on my car trailer getting ready to go to scrap.

I bought a roll of 3/16" stainless brake line and a load of fittings, to do the brake lines on the rear, and from the rear to the prop block. No more rusty lines for me.

I have some big rubber I got out of a barter, 275-40/17 bridgestone potenza's and 4 bfg 245-45/ 17. the potenza's are BN :mrgreen:

I have a conbo u-joint coming too me for the 9" too. I have a few side jobs to take care of, then I'll be doing a video on how to remove glass with piano wire, since I have to pull the wagon side glass to fix some rust.

Camshaft

Master Mechanic
May 27, 2009
Cleveland, Ohio

This has been a great read on slow Saturday here at work. I can't wait to see this thing finished!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor