81 Cutty...350 w/ Edelbrock Intake, Carburetor & Manifol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esotericnem

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2007
I purchased a 1981 Cutlass Supreme...It has a 350 w/ Edelbrock Intake, Carburetor, Carb Spacer & Manifold, B&M 80675 Automatic Starshifter on the floor (with no boot or cover), No power locks or windows and 2 glasspacks hanging from cloth hangers underneath each door. Thats all I really know about the car.........

When the seller jump started the car the engine was knocking really loud and sounded like dry metal scrapping, he said just add some thick oil and the car will be alright, so I purchased the car and drove it straight to a shop. The guy replaced the Manifold gasket and water pump, then he test drove it and said I need a new engine. When I drove it home it had no power and wanted to die when I put it on the freeway. I changed the Plugs, Wires, Cap & Rotor and tryed over and over to adjust the Edelbrock Carb........

All this and my question is why would my car have NO power what-so-ever I can't even drive the car but a few feet and it dies. My brother in-law has a 1991 GMC Full size pickup with a 5.7 350 and his engine was going out, so all he did was keep adding oil and the engine still had power. I am planning on getting the engine swapped out with another used 350 but I want to know if I should look for something else before getting a new engine and having the same problem. I really want to keep this car.

357chevIn86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2006
MISSOURI
if its an olds motor junk the block, its nothing but a boat anchor anyway. keep the heads and intake to sell to fund your small block chevy project. :lol: thats the best way to go in my opinion. I blew 2 olds motors in 1 month. My luck shows nothing but bad luck w/ olds stuff. besides, chevy stuff is more available when needed and cheaper to make " go fast".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor