81 El Camino radio removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgez

n00b
Dec 17, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hi all,
Based on the research and recommendation from here I've contacted Tony Barlos about repairing my AM/FM radio. Now I can't get the unit out. I've removed all bezels and the screws that hold the unit in the hole. Removed the vertical screw that holds the radio and lower dash together on the right rear of the radio. There is a bracket on the passenger side of the radio unit that is stopping the unit from sliding out. I'm going to try and remove the screw that holds the bracket onto the side of the radio.
Am I on the correct track to getting the radio out?

Thanks
George
81 El Camino
ZZ-1 Crate Engine

81msw79

Master Mechanic
May 5, 2013
roselle park , nj
I think i have my original am fm radio laying around if you want it just pay shipping. It worked fine when i pulled it. As for brackets also feen around the right side and the back. It has been awhile since i pulled mine out

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Geez, I just threw the original radio that came in my 81 in the trash two weeks ago. I didnt think anyone would have a use for it.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I've found the bracket to the rear RH side of the radio does need to come off to help in getting the radio out. Pic below shows the bracket in the upper center...the hole is where the screw goes through that holds it to the dash. The slot on the side fastens to the radio and is held on by a nut that fastens to a screw that attaches to the side of the radio. I looked but see I don't have a pic of it all complete.

7QmfZg.jpg

**Edit...I just realized the dash I have here still has the radio installed...here's a pic of that bracket setup..

1kGD0a.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know why I remembered that bracket cause it must be 20 years since I removed a stock radio...:rolleyes:

Georgez

n00b
Dec 17, 2017
Atlanta, GA
You guys are awesome. That bracket was holding the radio in. Got to the nut by way of the glove compartment.
Thanks again,
George

Reactions: 3 users

Georgez

n00b
Dec 17, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I think i have my original am fm radio laying around if you want it just pay shipping. It worked fine when i pulled it. As for brackets also feen around the right side and the back. It has been awhile since i pulled mine out
Sounds great!

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor