81 Elky dash wiring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Rogus, since you appear to be accessing the instrument gauges in your 81, I would like to seek your assistance. In late August, I pulled apart the dash apart on my 87 El Camino. I did not remove it but simply detached it from the body and pulled it back toward the seat in order to do some cowl rust repair. This repair required removal of the windshield as well.

In my hastiness, I did not do as much documentation of items. As I am now reinstalling the instrument pod, I found a 2-prong plug and do NOT recognize nor find any where that the plug connects to.

Do you or anyone else reading this thread recognize the plug? The wires in this particular harness are (1) gray and (2) gray with light brown. I also have another dash harness from an 84 el camino in which the wires are (1) light green and (2) dark green with light green. As I mentioned, I failed to document where this 2-prong connects to.

Thank you in advance for any responses or assistance.
20210110_165752.jpg
20210110_165842.jpg

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Rogus, since you appear to be accessing the instrument gauges in your 81, I would like to seek your assistance. In late August, I pulled apart the dash apart on my 87 El Camino. I did not remove it but simply detached it from the body and pulled it back toward the seat in order to do some cowl rust repair. This repair required removal of the windshield as well.

In my hastiness, I did not do as much documentation of items. As I am now reinstalling the instrument pod, I found a 2-prong plug and do NOT recognize nor find any where that the plug connects to.

Do you or anyone else reading this thread recognize the plug? The wires in this particular harness are (1) gray and (2) gray with light brown. I also have another dash harness from an 84 el camino in which the wires are (1) light green and (2) dark green with light green. As I mentioned, I failed to document where this 2-prong connects to.

Thank you in advance for any responses or assistance.
View attachment 166328 View attachment 166329

I'm back....
According to my 86 wire diagram the gray and tan w/gray tracer stripe are your left front dash speaker connection.
The dark/light green set is the right side dash speaker.

Looking at your picture just above the A/C vent I see the leads connected to the aftermarket speaker. Who ever did the install may have ran new wire and just left the factory harness disconnected.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Since posting the above, I have found out that exact point...these are speaker wires. Thank you for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor