81 Elky

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Well just starting. Found that the battery had dead cells,the alternator was only putting out 8 volts, no lower alternator bracket, manual choke carb but no choke cable, no vacuum line to th350 transmission, 3 headlights had water in them, extremely long shifting rod coming out of the side of the transmission with no end support bracket, vacuum line that controls the switch that allows hot water to flow through heater connected to carb, no vacuum tank, pcv valve not connected to anything, bluish (violet? color blind here) vacuum line under hood not connected to anything, gas gauge always reads beyond full, vacuum pod that controls lower a/c heater vent broken off side of vent, passenger side air deflector missing, washer circuit board has 8 traces destroyed, bottom wiper motor wire plug connector partially melted, drivers side inner door handle (not strap) broken off, drivers side seat wont always lock into place, vacuum switch that controls water flow to heater box missing, window motors need replaced, no torque convertor cover, windshield washer sprayer(?) metal lines missing or broken off and the list will probably continue after I take out the dash pad.

Already replaced battery. Replaced alternator. Went through two alternators from Autozone because the bolt threads kept stripping out. Young Autozone clerk told me I can't torque down the upper bolt. I'm 58 with gray thru my hair and he's about 20. Most classic cars these days were still new when I was a kid. Not my first time changing an alternator on what's now a classic car. Just looked at him and very slowly just said, "Yeah...". Bought a Tuff Stuff alternator made in Cleveland and it installed correctly the first time.

Attachments

• s-l1602.jpg
    s-l1602.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
also replaced alternator bracket and windshield washer spray(?) lines and wiper motor. Still trying to find new wiper motor cap with working circuit board. If anyone knows where to find one that info would be appreciated.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
That violet vacuum line is your vacuum supply to the heater-A/C, should have a cream/dirty white one for the water control valve for the heater core.

Reactions: 1 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
That violet vacuum line is your vacuum supply to the heater-A/C, should have a cream/dirty white one for the water control valve for the heater core.
Thank you. Then someone did connect the water control valve vacuum line to the carb.

• Haha

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I did. The only thing that came up was your post for some reason.

that is strange....and you got nothing putting in wiper board in the search box?. The wiper board has been talked about quite a bit and I don't think new ones are available.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
that is strange....and you got nothing putting in wiper board in the search box?. The wiper board has been talked about quite a bit and I don't think new ones are available.
No. Searching for wiper board only brings up your reply to me. Unfortunately they did stop making them about 2011 i think. Searching online for a salvage yard that might have one. Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to try to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor