81 malibu build

Status
Not open for further replies.

81_malibuclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2021
I am new to the site and I have a 81 malibu classic 3.8 229 v6, transmission unknown. I want to make a car that will stand out I dont Necessarily want it to be fast but I want good acceleration times, and a mean sounding car, but the 350 I was going to put in the car will cost me a fortune to fix as it was sat on the ground for 8 years and has rusted pits in the cylinder walls, so I was wanting to know if there is a way to upgrade the v6 that is in it I don’t want to spend much money on it because I already have a racing truck but I was wondering if I were to find a cam, long tube headers and a full exhaust, cold air intake, good spark plugs and wires, will this v6 be good enough like I said I don’t want a super fast car 100-110 is good for me I just want it to sound good and accelerate fast if anyone knows what parts to get or has any advice please tell me. Thanks.

(Update: I think I have decided to do a stroker 229 build could someone provide me with list of parts I need for build as I have never done one before? Thanks.)

Last edited:

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
1st.... Welcome to the site.

2nd... You stated you already have a "racing truck" so leave the 229 as is & enjoy it for what an '81 v6 was.... Nothing special. Putting a bigger cam, long-tube headers, & full exhaust all sounds good but the limited displacement & poor flowing heads will limit any benefits the cam & exhaust would provide. Enjoy it as is.
Get your 'go-fast' fix in that truck & save up for a decent small-block or LS swap candidate

81_malibuclassic

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 21, 2021
1st.... Welcome to the site.

2nd... You stated you already have a "racing truck" so leave the 229 as is & enjoy it for what an '81 v6 was.... Nothing special. Putting a bigger cam, long-tube headers, & full exhaust all sounds good but the limited displacement & poor flowing heads will limit any benefits the cam & exhaust would provide. Enjoy it as is, get you 'go-fast' fix in that truck & save up for a decent small-block or LS swap candidate
the only problem is I need to rebuild the engine in the malibu and I love gbody cars
(I have 3) one is a original 3.3 v6 2 door 1978 malibu and that is the one I am keeping all original l, but the 81 I bought to make fast and to use as kind of a Guinea pig for performance parts I paid $200 for a running and driving car with a. Blown freeze plug. But what you said about the heads, what mods could I do with those heads to get better acceleration? Thanks

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
the only problem is I need to rebuild the engine in the malibu and I love gbody cars
(I have 3) one is a original 3.3 v6 2 door 1978 malibu and that is the one I am keeping all original l, but the 81 I bought to make fast and to use as kind of a Guinea pig for performance parts I paid $200 for a running and driving car with a. Blown freeze plug. But what you said about the heads, what mods could I do with those heads to get better acceleration? Thanks
Most heads will do better w/porting & milling (porting for flow; milling to help gain compression). I'm not certain but I bet the aftermarket has aluminum intakes as well. You probably won't find any smoking deals on a new intake & even less likely to find a good deal on something used.

If it had a rotted freeze-plug, I'm betting the motor is not in tip-top shape. The basics suggest you complete a compression test first. If the cylinders aren't healthy, doing anything else to the motor is like taking your $$$ & throwing it in a fire-pit.

But.... Again, I feel you're just throwing money away. For what you'd spend on machine shop labor, a better carb, gears & uncommon performance parts (alum intake/headers) for that v6 you could probably find a late 90's Vortec headed L31 small block in a Suburban that would yield greater return on the same investment.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
I wouldn’t spend more than 100 on a v6 before I just tore it out and put in at least a junkyard small block
V6 and acceleration are not used in the same sentence.
Not for cheap
And it would still sound like a v6

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor