81 malibu turbo 350 shift linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
getting things reassembled and seem to be having trouble getting the shift linkage adjusted right so the p-r-n-d-2-1 line up right in the dash. it's been off a little and it's starting to bug me. in the pic is what i'll call the cross shaft and mounting plate that i have had for a spare for quite a while and decided to install it hoping it would line up better than the hacked up part the po had on it. the pencil points to the bracket that was welded on the one that is on my car now. the pic is the replacement i want to install but it will not line up with the bracket on the turbo trans. i'm thinking there were different rods for different trans. i have adjusted the rod length but have not touched the rod that runs down the firewall yet. it's giving me fits right now and i can't get it where i want it to be. the rod seems to not be the right one for the turbo 350. are there different cross shaft rods for different trans. that were installed in these cars? pic is the good factory rod and the hacked up one is on the car now. not sure i'm going in the right direction on the adjustment procedure yet. thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 249

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I've always adjusted them by putting the shift lever in "N", the trans in "N", and adjusting the sliding pin on the rod from the column so it's a direct slide onto the lever shown. Last step is to remove the knee bolster, and adjust the indicator "string" that clips to the steering column jacket. Often the "string" has worn/sawed it's way into the plastic of the indicator assembly, which can cause problems with correct operation . Aiming for the center of the N on the dash indicator will usually make the others pretty close, I don't know that any of them were ever perfect.

Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
I've always adjusted them by putting the shift lever in "N", the trans in "N", and adjusting the sliding pin on the rod from the column so it's a direct slide onto the lever shown. Last step is to remove the knee bolster, and adjust the indicator "string" that clips to the steering column jacket. Often the "string" has worn/sawed it's way into the plastic of the indicator assembly, which can cause problems with correct operation . Aiming for the center of the N on the dash indicator will usually make the others pretty close, I don't know that any of them were ever perfect.
thanks for the info Ribbedroff. i adjusted mine a lot like that but started in park and then low gear then in some of the other gears. it's pretty close but it still bugs me. since i'm the only that drives the car it's close enough. hate to get into the steering column jacket right now but i know myself and it'll bug me till i get it closer than it is. maybe this summer. trying to get inline with the indicator will be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor