81 Malibu Wagon headliner needs retaining clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
My 81 Malibu wagon has a complete headliner in good shape, but the perimeter molding and headliner retaining clips were missing clips. I can't find anyplace in the aftermarket that has what I need, so I thought to ask if anyone here has a solution. Before I start making a system of my own to hold the headliner in place, I thought to ask what you might have done. My metal perimeter molding also has clips missing and not in the car. I bought the car as an unfinished project and now just getting to the interior headliner. Thanks for any suggestions. BTW...I am open to modifying anything that will keep the headliner and molding in place.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
My 81 Malibu wagon has a complete headliner in good shape, but the perimeter molding and headliner retaining clips were missing clips. I can't find anyplace in the aftermarket that has what I need, so I thought to ask if anyone here has a solution. Before I start making a system of my own to hold the headliner in place, I thought to ask what you might have done. My metal perimeter molding also has clips missing and not in the car. I bought the car as an unfinished project and now just getting to the interior headliner. Thanks for any suggestions. BTW...I am open to modifying anything that will keep the headliner and molding in place.
If you're not in an immediate hurry. My friend, and fellow wagon owner is working with a guy that will be making replacement wagon headliner clips via 3D printing. I'm in the middle of redoing my headliner and of course broke a few of the hardest to find clips, the ones over the 1/4 windows. The clips that hold the windshield garnish molding are readily available and hardly break. I sent my friend one of the rear clips that hold the molding over the glass hatch to be duplicated..
Another last ditch alternative is to drill and recess some interior finish screws to hold the moldings on. If done right, it doesn't look bad, but most of us like to use the original fastening system.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

slingshot

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2014
If you're not in an immediate hurry. My friend, and fellow wagon owner is working with a guy that will be making replacement wagon headliner clips via 3D printing. I'm in the middle of redoing my headliner and of course broke a few of the hardest to find clips, the ones over the 1/4 windows. The clips that hold the windshield garnish molding are readily available and hardly break. I sent my friend one of the rear clips that hold the molding over the glass hatch to be duplicated..
Another last ditch alternative is to drill and recess some interior finish screws to hold the moldings on. If done right, it doesn't look bad, but most of us like to use the original fastening system.
Thanks for the reply! The plastic clips over the hatch glass are needed and would be in line for what your buddy can 3D print. how about the clips that hold the sides of the headliner? I only know what came with the car and not what the factory used. My wagon came with small metal clips holding up the sides and can't find them anywhere. As for the metal molding, what you suggest is what I had in mind, if original clips were not available. Please, keep me posted on the availability of those plastic rear 3D printed clips.

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks for the reply! The plastic clips over the hatch glass are needed and would be in line for what your buddy can 3D print. how about the clips that hold the sides of the headliner? I only know what came with the car and not what the factory used. My wagon came with small metal clips holding up the sides and can't find them anywhere. As for the metal molding, what you suggest is what I had in mind, if original clips were not available. Please, keep me posted on the availability of those plastic rear 3D printed clips.
These are the side clips over the quarter windows. They're being worked on currently. There's also these which I believe are available. They help hold in the forward side moldings, and are screwed on.
Btw, I know which metal clips you're talking about. I actually broke one of those. It's a T-shaped spring clip that helps support the headliner shell while you're installing the garnish moldings.

Attachments

• IMG_1747.JPG
    IMG_1747.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, how far did you get with your headliner? Did you find the color you wanted?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, how far did you get with your headliner? Did you find the color you wanted?
Mark,
I ended up buying the same color I had before, Bordeaux. I have the fabric and cleaned off both boards. Just waiting for a decent day and some spare time.
My friend will probably be getting some of the new 3D clips soon. I hope to have everything I need to complete the job.

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds good Jack. If those clips turn out OK it will be a huge benefit to wagon owners!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds good Jack. If those clips turn out OK it will be a huge benefit to wagon owners!
Indeed it will, Mark,. They won't be mass produced per se, but will most likely be a limited run. I'm sure it will benefit fellow wagon owners that are faced with having to redo their headliners. These clips are nowhere to be found. Trust me.
I like your new cartoon, btw.

*Slingshot, let me know if you're interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor