81 Monte all lights work except the head lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 29, 2017
I was driving in a dark mountain pass with my high beams on when I hear a pop sound under the dash. My headlights went dark. I checked under the dash all fuses seem to be OK. I drove the 15 miles home at 20 miles an hour with the flashers on. All lights work except the head lights I have no low or high beam. Is there a fuse somewhere for headlights under the hood? on the fire wall? or under the dash? that I am missing? I heard a pop under the dash before the lights went out but visual inspection shows nothing out of the ordinary. Does anyone have a color coded head light switch diagram they can share?
Thanks,
Jeff

malibujustin

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2017
Yikes...I think there is a site called maliburacing.com that has a bunch of wiring diagrams. I assume the basic wiring across most of the g bodies are the same. The site breaks each section down pretty good. May help some.

Rudy913

G-Body Guru
Feb 26, 2016
New Orleans
IMG_1977.PNG
I've had this problem When I click my high beam and low beam on so many times I guess the clip broke And my headlight wouldn't work but all my other lights would
,what I did which solve the problem was run a hot wire into the negative and the positive side of the switch which solve my problem

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It sounds like the thermal breaker in the headlight switch blew.

Headlights.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Yea when I tried to click from high beam to low beam it wouldn't click .

that isn't the switch I was referring to, if the hi/lo switch isn't working the headlights will still work, they'd be stuck on high or low

oxide80

Greasemonkey
Sep 10, 2016
Maine
Just for the heck of it did you check the bulbs? Ran into it years ago with a customer who said they heard a snap and all headlights went out, tech spent an hour testing things before he found all 4 bulbs blown.....

Last edited:

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Checked the fuse box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor