81 Regal LS swap parts list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sbrown

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
hey everyone and thanks in advance for the info. I’ve hunted around here and found some info but hoping for a little confirmation. I have a 1981 regal with the V6. Needs an upgrade and I’ve collected parts to get more serious.
I’ve got a complete 2004 GMC Sierra with a low mileage 5.3 for all the parts i need and also have a built up TH350 I want to pair behind it. Not looking for a performance car by any means just a nice summer cruiser with a little more pull. So my parts list I’m planning.
Stock ECU re-work (or am I way ahead by buying the holly system?)
Stock ECU reflashed ( buddy has efi live and can do it for free for me)
Stock f-body ls manifolds ( they will fit right?)
External fuel pump and corvette regulator (from what I have read my tank will work just can’t let level get to low?)

Questions
Will all the truck accessories work?
What adapter plates work best for this application?
Adapter plate needed for transmission?

Anything else I’m not thinking of?
Thanks again for the info!

Reactions: 1 user

Jdigitty88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
Truck accessories will work depending on mounts you use, depending on the flexplate you will need a spacer and oval out the holes some. Tranmissmision will bolt up to the block just fine.

I have truck accessories and a th350 in my regal.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
We did a lot of fabrication on mine, but according to the research I have done, between Hooker, and Holley, you can get a bolt in setup. How much do you want to do vs. spend is what it will boil down to. PSI has a really nice brand new harness for around 650? might have been 560, and will flash your computer for another 75. If your car is FI which I THINK all sixes of the era were, you should be good with the tank, but will want to upgrade your pump. I went with a Walbro 360 lph, but I think you can get away with the 250 unit if you aren't getting wild with the build. I probably wont, but futureproofing... You will definitely want a different oil pan. I went with the hot rod pan from GM, the CTS pan fits better from what I read (after the fact) F-body works as well. Holley has one I believe they claim is designed for the swap, and from what I read it fits pretty nice, but you are paying more for it than the GM pan. You can also cut the truck pan/ pick up and trim them to fit if you have the skills, and nads to do so. I don't. Get any PS pulley off a car in a boneyard. Mine came out of a 90's Grand AM. I think the electric fans did to if I recall correctly. they may have come out of a TA though so don't quote me. I went on a spree picking a bunch of parts off nearly as many cars/trucks/ vans. Be creative. There are as many different ways of accomplishing what you are trying to do as there are people doing it.

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
Sorry. Misread your post. Manifolds fit, ECU works, but needs re-flashing. Accessories fit, but need a smaller PS pulley. Adapter plates aplenty out there for your application.

Sbrown

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
Thanks for the info. Mine is a carbureted car at the moment also. Any suggestions on adapter plates?

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks for the info. Mine is a carbureted car at the moment also. Any suggestions on adapter plates?
To be honest... If I was you and had the entire truck for parts (assuming it's 2WD), I would retain the the entire driveline and EFI. Holley mounts, fuel lines, F body manifolds, your buddy to flash it, and you are 99% there. If not, I'd be looking for a swap. OD helps with economy and you already have the tech in the truck. As far a mating up the 350, it is an offset flexplate, but I am not the one to ask as I retained the 4l80.

Sbrown

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 31, 2018
It’s a 4wd truck. Am I correct in thinking my gas tank will work just can’t let it get to low because it doesn’t have a sump?

csstrux

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2017
You are looking for baffles in the tank to keep the fuel by the pump. If your car is efi now, you are golden, you just want to upgrade your pump. I'd see about doing some horse swapping to get a 4l60 and keep the OD and EFI if it were me.

79longroof

Greasemonkey
Jan 6, 2018
I bought the $35 LSX Innovations plates off of Amazon. Used the "middle" most holes on them, along with stock replacement clamshells and mounts for a V8 g body. Had to drill out the hole for the main thru bolt on the mount a little bigger as it was just barely off. But it works perfect and there is no clearance issues with the stock truck accessories either

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor