82 Cutlass Supreme 307 Temp Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeo1980

n00b
Aug 29, 2017
We are having an overheating issue on my buddy's Cutlass. He was driving it last week and the temp light came on. The motor felt hotter than usual too. We changed out the thermostat and it didn't fix it. He changed out the temp sensor and the light was still on. We decided to try the water pump, that seemed to cool the motor slightly but the light stayed on. Last thing we changed was the fan clutch which didn't fix the issue either. Only part we can think of next would be the radiator. He did mention that he hit a bird earlier in the day hours before the light came on but we didn't see anything when we removed stuff for the water pump. Any ideas on what could possibly be causing the issue? The crate motor doesn't have but around 60K on in the last 20 years.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Olds 307 is easy to cool. Unless you are loosing coolant, it should not be overheating. Buy an infrared temp gun and see what the temp actually is. Check the A/C condensor for damaged fins from the bird and limiting airflow. A cheap aluminum/plastic parts store rad will easily cool a 307 if it is running hot.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you check the temperature with an inferred temp gun? Maybe it's a simple temperature switch that is defective....but I kinda hope it's not after all the parts your changed..... :popcorn:

jeo1980

n00b
Aug 29, 2017
Thanks for the assistance from both of you. We checked the condenser and it looked fine, still have to pickup a temp gun but, just from standing over it the temp feels cooler. The light is still on and now it has a sputtering sound; no smoke from exhaust and oil/coolant look fine. I checked the exhaust and it didn't look or feel like there were any leaks but, could possibly be clogged. The noise comes from the area of the exhaust manifold pipe and the flywheel area. Only reason I bring that up is because my buddy is being told that the exhaust could cause the light too and I have little knowledge on this. Thanks again for taking the time to assist.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I always confirm any abnormal reading on a gauge or a warning light before I go any further...

LeftLaneOnly

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2020
Check the cat with that temp gun mine was clogged and really heated things up
It blew out the donut at the manifold and an exshust manifold Gasket

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Was 82 the big converter or did GM switch around that time? My old 81 Delta 88 had the big restrictive "pancake" converter that started plugging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor