82 Malibu wagon with caddy 500

Discussion in 'Wagons!' started by pyrofenix, Nov 9, 2011.

1. pyrofenix

pyrofenix Not-quite-so-new-guy

I just picked up a Malibu wagon with a big block Cadillac 500 already swapped in. The front suspension is a little low (don't think the previous owner did anything to the suspension when dropping in the extra weight).

I don't want it to sit real low or anything but not at stock height and I'm not sure what I should get for the front suspension - 550# springs? More? :?: I'd welcome all suggestions!

I'll post pics tomorrow.

2. green79gp

green79gp Not-quite-so-new-guy

would love to see it

3. Longroof79

Longroof79 Comic Book Super Hero

I'd also love to see this wagon. I knew of one other 500 cu.in. Caddy powered Malibu wagon. It was painted a flat rootbeer color with black painted wheels. It was very sinister looking. I think the guys name was Chris...I can't recall.
    But the last I heard, this car was for sale.

4. pyrofenix

Sorry, took longer than I expected with work. Here she is, my $900 purchase!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Longroof79

Longroof79 Comic Book Super Hero

Nice score, man! I like it. It must be a blast to drive. Thanks for posting up pics.
    What plans do have for it?
    You might also want to consider a fan shroud or electric fans. Also, as far as front springs. MOOG #5660 S-10 springs might work nicely with a heavier Caddy motor.

6. pyrofenix

It had several small radiator leaks so I have already purchased a new aluminum radiator and will be going with a pair of electric fans to help keep it cool.

Other than the going through the front suspension, it's just got a bunch of small things that need to be done. Once I have those, i'll re-address my plans.

Gotta keep the plans small until after the girlfriend becomes a fiance/wife.

7. Bonnewagon

Bonnewagon Comic Book Super Hero

Cool car! A super-sleeper. When I put a Pontiac 400 in my 81' Malibu wagon the front end scraped the ground. I used 77' TA springs with 3/4 of a coil cut off. Without cutting, the nose pointed to the sky, like there was no motor at all. I cut a 1/4 coil at a time and watched how she sat. At 3/4 of a coil, it was about 2" taller than stock, and a VERY firm ride, yet compliant. A lot of work to do it incrementally, but worth it. As I always say, you can cut more off, but you can't add any on. And there is no formula for "this spring will give you that height" because every car/motor combination is different. Good luck with the car and the wife!

8. Peter

Peter Royal Smart Person

9. pyrofenix

Thanks, I definitely want to keep the sleeper feel.

I really love having the big block under the stock hood. No cowl to give anything away. A stock looking fiberglass hood would be nice to shed some weight would be good too though! So many ways to go...

10. Blake442

Blake442 Geezer