83" Buick Lesabre what is Gbody compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I am going to look at a 83' Buick Lesabre 4 door and all I want is the drivetrain for another project (more on that later) but I am wondering what other parts will work on a Gbody such as the ac/heater case?
Anything that you know will fit or would be worth the effort to modify to fit, maybe rear end?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
:bump:

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
I'm curious about this myself. I'll stay in this one, my brother's 455 Caprice might not live again, so I'll probably gut it for everything possible

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
565bbchevy said:
I am going to look at a 83' Buick Lesabre 4 door and all I want is the drivetrain for another project (more on that later) but I am wondering what other parts will work on a Gbody such as the ac/heater case?
Anything that you know will fit or would be worth the effort to modify to fit, maybe rear end?

Headlights, basic underhood mechanical parts, various hardware...not much else. The wheels generally aren't even the same, as the G-body used a 4.75" bolt pattern and the B/D-body used 5" bolt pattern if I'm not mistaken. Rear brakes are different designs, You can swap batteries, but B/D bodies originally used group 24 (top post) or 78 (side post) large batteries whereas the A/G used group 75 (smaller).

It would seem there would be a lot shared, but very few parts are a direct swap. The '77-'96 B/D body has much more in common with the '73-'77 A-body, I've even read on several occasions that the downsized full-sized cars were just slightly revised and rebodied intermediate cars (i.e. 1973 Malibu=1977 Caprice). The A/G body in 1978 was basically all new, and the S-10/Astro introduced a few years later was derivative of them, at least most of the chassis (firewall forward/brakes. S-10's used the group 75 battery as well, but they tend to have a battery tray that won't allow a bigger battery to be installed.

Heater and A/C systems are completely different from what I've encountered. G-bodies have the blower motor on the passenger upper firewall (wheel down). The B/D body has it turned the other way (wheel up) and down inside the car under the glove box by the kick panel.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I looked at a $500 Lesabre with a 307 once as a potential work beater and I was thinking of taking out all the power window motors not sure if they're exactly the same for 4d? They're the type of part that gets smashed all the time but then when u try to find a cheapie on ebay its always way too high $. Take out the windshield / rear window if they go willingly. You'd be surprised how quickly it might sell since very few glass vendors are keeping windows for old gm's in stock now esp w/ defrost feature. Rip out the rear door lighters element's wiring if it has the smoker's package. You can always hardwire that to make an outlet in your trunk; or use it to wire up absurd appliances that don't actually belong in a car of course. just like a diesel truck would have. The dome light should be slightly different size but it's a good spare to grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor