83 Buick Regal Estate Wagon 5.3 LS, bagged

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Here is the start up video.. I sound like Australian or something when I say 'yea'.. but I'm not. Oy!

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Wow, that did start up quite easily, didn't it? Looks like the Hooker exhaust manifolds. I know that you're not satisfied with the mufflers, but how did the rest of the exhaust system work out? Did you use the complete Hooker system right from the manifolds back? Are you running catalytic converters? Keep the updates coming!

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Wow, that did start up quite easily, didn't it? Looks like the Hooker exhaust manifolds. I know that you're not satisfied with the mufflers, but how did the rest of the exhaust system work out? Did you use the complete Hooker system right from the manifolds back? Are you running catalytic converters? Keep the updates coming!

Yes, those are the Hooker cast manifolds, they tuck in so nicely. The exhaust system really appears top notch.. the materials are quality and everything went together very tight, and fits perfect. I will take some detail shots to post up. I did not use cat converters as they aren't required in WA state.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Interesting that the trans lines fit so well. I kept the ones from our LS1 in hopes of just using part of them (up to the front of the engine +/-), and now it looks like the whole thing should work. Excellent news.

And congrats on getting it running!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Very nice. Starting it up for the first time must have been a rush for you...rightfully so.
Everything looks so neat and well planned, Keep up the good work.

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Hey y'all.. So I knew that would happen. I haven't updated because the project basically hibernated for the winter. I have some updates from the past week or so working on replacing the stock spindles with 2" drop aftermarket ones. It finally sits nice and low in the front, but I do think there is still something preventing the airbag / shock system from fully collapsing. I had started to work with a tech at the company but need to follow up on it. I really wanted to drive this thing to the LS West show in Las Vegas but I quickly realized that would have been pretty stressful to beat the clock. I'm still going to the show, just flying down.. Still have a few gremlins to fix: wiring issue causing a few circuits to behave oddly, steam from heater core, and slow leak from the air bag system (believe / hope it's only the push-to-connect fittings on manifold). Photos!

IMG_4215-L.jpg

the front bumper fillers from gbodyparts. Not sure what to do about body and paint, if I should bother. Hence the rattle can white

IMG_5583-L.jpg

There is a ridiculous amount of space on the rear fender and tire.. i've been thinking about some wheels. Maybe just something for another option, I like whitewalls too much :)

IMG_5585-L.jpg

Quick peek at the janky fuel system. Don't worry I will be placing some hard line in there, hopefully even running it the entire length

IMG_5586-L.jpg

Better look at the sump, that was a pain. Quick tip to save time and effort - pressure check your welds!

IMG_5587-L.jpg

Here's driver side already done, and it's sitting low! Hard to really see in this angle

IMG_5588-L.jpg

I tower over the car at full drop

IMG_5589-L.jpg

Here is pass side old spindle at full drop.. the travel would stop before all pressure was released

IMG_5593-L.jpg

I should probably add larger brakes soon for safety reasons

IMG_5594-L.jpg

New McGaughey's spindles installed

IMG_5596-L.jpg

Oh, that is sweet tuck!

IMG_5597-L.jpg

Angle showing similar to earlier pic of drop... also shows I need a new center cap emblem hah

Reactions: 4 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Great work!!! This is everything i want to do to my wagon.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
Awesome build write up!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor