83 Buick Regal Estate Wagon 5.3 LS, bagged

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
That's the Dakota VHX in blue, still getting the air ride setup as well as the gauges. Hoping to have them buttoned up soon and get more pics when finished

Reactions: 1 users

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
That's the Dakota VHX in blue, still getting the air ride setup as well as the gauges. Hoping to have them buttoned up soon and get more pics when finished

I was going to say, looked like the VHX style, but I forgot the Monte gauge layout is different. The Regal auxiliary gauges are outboard of the tach & speedo.

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Guess who's back! :banana: . I've been lurking and working on the wagon when I can (lurkin and workin). Updates - when I last reported the transmission issues I should've easily diagnosed because the 3-4 clutches were gone, and apparently that material makes the fluid have the milkshake effect. After checking around and seeing that even core rebuilds are like $2000 (!) I ordered a 3-4 clutch rebuild kit and a new pump assembly for like $250 (Global Transmission Parts) to try and save that money. Worst case it would fail and I will just buy an aftermarket replacement. It could have been done in a few weekends but it took quite a while due to other various projects. With my dad's help we pulled the trans, blew it apart and following TransmissionBench's amazing video tutorials (also hilarious because he pronounces it 'tran-mission' lol) carefully cleaned and reassembled. So far so good, but haven't put a lot of miles on it yet. And that is due to the electrical issues with the original harness I still need to track down and fix. I am guessing it may be due to having removed the add-on AC system the dealer hacked together. Or simply bad grounds, old connectors, etc.

I already bought some cat converters and am ordering the Walker quiet-flow mufflers and will have the system welded at a shop. Haven't yet pulled the trigger on gauges but will do that soon.

But after that feeling of 1 step forward and 2 steps back, I'm being cautiously optimistic.

IMG_7423.jpg

* sorry for the low light shot, I will get some nice ones once I detail the paint

Reactions: 4 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Worth a shot to do yourself. This why I am not hot to put the 4L60-70E in anything, the 3-4 clutch packs die often.

vandall

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2015
Seattle, WA
Yeah I hear the biggest 4L60E issue is that 3-4 failure. I guess a few things can cause it but a big reason is that pump will not seal properly and not pressurize. It wasn't too bad but it wasn't a full rebuild, either. Referencing that quality video library was critical and probably wouldn't attempt it without that.

And here is one of the big reasons the Regal work took longer than it should have :ninja: :

IMG_7246-X2.jpg

it's a 1984 FJ60 that had not been on the road since 2006 and I spent a lot of time cleaning out fuel tank and getting the systems in order. It's a tank, but it really needs an LS swap!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Good to see you back! Lurkin' and workin', huh? Keep us updated on your progress.
How did you do with the trans?
Looks like a great vehicle to trudge through the snow in. Btw, looks like a good accumulation there.

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I had a 86 FJ60, the 2F is an amazing engine. Amazing it can be that slow and use so much fuel doing it.....

• Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor