'83 Cutlass Cruiser advise/opinions wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankCutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2018
Hi guys,
I've found the link to this CL ad for an '83 Cutlass Cruiser for sale on a Sacramento area facebook for sale page. And I really like the car.
From the comments that were on the FB page, it was originally $12k and has already been reduced.
I know $10k is still quite a bit and last month somebody posted here people have gone nuts with recent asking prices ;-) But this wagon looks really clean and I'm sure there's still some room for negotiations.
AND there's is a reason for my madness.
I'm in the UK but I'd love to get another Cutlass Cruiser again as I've owned an '83 and than a '79 when I was 18/19/20. It's a stupid nostalgia thing but I just love these G-wagons, like everybody on here. I'm looking for a car to actually keep in the US (CA more specific) for when we come on vacation. NOT to export to the UK. I've got friends through my involvement with aircooled VW's in the Stanton/Anaheim area but they don't know anything about G-body cars. We've been on Drag Week before with them, I've bought a Dodge Sportsmobile camper a few years ago in which we toured the Mid West so we're no strangers to getting around.
And from the money point it's firstly easier for me to just get a car I can just jump in and drive than have to do a lot of work to beforehand. Secondly the mods he's listed on a nice rust free car would quickly add up to the asking price if I'd buy a wagon for less and than have to buy the parts and pay somebody to do the work for me in the US.
I'm sure you understand that.
My main questions are, has anybody seen this car before or knows whether the seller is a member here?
I've not contacted the guy yet. There's no phone number unfortunately. With the current covid sh*t show all around the globe I'm obviously not able to just fly over and buy this for the forseeable future, which is what I'd be inclined to do otherwise.
What are your takes on the car?
Thanks for your input.
Frank

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
It may be trouble.

From what I remember, CA law requires that sellers smog the vehicle before sale and provide the buyer with a smog certificate.

Seller in his ad states "buyer will smog"...

This may explain part of why it sits around and price is dropping. Not sure on how the mods, the fuel injection conversion, etc will be received, and if this guy had an insider pushing it though for him but not for a random buyer.

Just throwing that out there because you mention wanting to use it in CA, and I presume register and store it there...

FrankCutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2018
It may be trouble.

From what I remember, CA law requires that sellers smog the vehicle before sale and provide the buyer with a smog certificate.

Seller in his ad states "buyer will smog"...

This may explain part of why it sits around and price is dropping. Not sure on how the mods, the fuel injection conversion, etc will be received, and if this guy had an insider pushing it though for him but not for a random buyer.

Just throwing that out there because you mention wanting to use it in CA, and I presume register and store it there...
Yes I saw the smog remark. And yes I'd definitely store the car in CA, as there's a storage yard next to where my friend has a shop in Stanton. We kept our Dodge camper there and the good thing is my friends can pop by there to keep an eye on the car and take it out every now and than, so it's not just sitting there for over half a year.
Regarding registering it, I also have the option of registering it in South Dakota through somebody else I know but I have to check on their emissions rules. The Dodge was an 85 and registered there in SD. Not sure if it needs it as that was on an antique car plate.

FrankCutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 16, 2018
Yes I saw the smog remark. And yes I'd definitely store the car in CA, as there's a storage yard next to where my friend has a shop in Stanton. We kept our Dodge camper there and the good thing is my friends can pop by there to keep an eye on the car and take it out every now and than, so it's not just sitting there for over half a year.
Regarding registering it, I also have the option of registering it in South Dakota through somebody else I know but I have to check on their emissions rules. The Dodge was an 85 and registered there in SD. Not sure if it needs it as that was on an antique car plate.
California really is a sh*t state when it comes to modified old cars now, but it might also help get the price down in this instance.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That’s a lot for what it is. But it’s also reasonable if it’s what you’re looking for. If it was drivetrain less and $2k then I’d be making my 1st west coast trek LOL.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a nice car, Frank. But again I'd be overly concerned about the smog certification in whichever state you'd be looking to register the car in. Obviously, the seller is having trouble selling the car in his own state, California, due to the emissions regulations.
Good luck on your decision. As you can see, I'm also a wagon fan. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Some states are getting more interested in enforcing registration laws. If California is one of them, I don't know. They view it as depriving them of the tax revenue.

About 20 years ago, here in Oklahoma, people started registering their vehicles (especially NEW ones) in Oregon. Seems Oregon had very low fees. The state of Oklahoma very vigorously started enforcing the registration laws...if you had an Okla license, and an Oregon reg, you were in for a nasty penalty when they caught you, and they did catch a lot of people.

Just something to think about regarding out-of-state registrations.

It's a nice car, interiors like that are hard to find anymore...I can see why you want it.

Last edited:

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Shorty headers, dual exhaust, Holley carb on an adapter plate. Will NOT pass CA emissions. Not sure how he kept the CA plates on it. Nice car otherwise.

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
He is in a Facebook group I’m in(saw it pop up for sale) probably the g-body wagon page (the g-body wagon society?) but my feed is made up of so many g-body pages I’m not sure which one. I’ve seen it before but don’t recollect his name or know him.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
South Dakota will gladly take your money and will register your car even if you don't live there.

1614701366334.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor