'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks like a nice solid project, Blake. I like Cutlass Cruisers..they're abit more uncommon than a Malibu wagon. In fact an old friend of mine has one and recently put in a small block Chevy 350 and turbo 350 trans.
He's really an Olds guys and would have prefered an Olds engine instead of the Chevy power plant.
As for the woodgrain sides...as much as I like the woodgrained look, I think I'd stick to one color and leave it. I like that metallic green...that's a cool color.

Good luck with it. Looks like you're well on your way.

Jack

Here's a picture of my buddy's car.

Untitled.jpg
[/img]

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
I would do the woodgrain, I personally think it looks good. Plus, when you beat a little ricer civic or something, they will be really embarrased. not only did they get beat by a wagon, but it had woodgrain too :lol:

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Longroof79 said:
Here's a picture of my buddy's car.

Untitled.jpg

Oh man, your buddys wagon looks great. I would've preferred Olds power as well, but I can't complain about having the sbc and everything for it laying around.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i vote woodgrain as well, you don't see it much for that matter i have not seen it around here ever. Like the color choice as well. Close to what mine is but not quite :D

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
you love those Heater Box's don't you! sweet wagon...how would you do the woodgrain? paint some fauxgrain?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blake,
My friend was actually looking for an early '70's vintage Olds 350 engine and trans. but came across the Chevy 350 from a friend. It was in storage for many years and allegedly had all the machine work done..but later learned that some hack goober did the machining.
After putting a bunch of time, $$. and frustration into the Chevy engine, he was sorry he didn't use the engine and trans from his late mom's Cutlass.
It was a freshly rebuilt Olds 307 roller motor with a non-computerized Q-Jet and HEI backed by a 200-4R trans. I could see his point. It would have been a direct bolt in except for moving the mounts. Oh well...

Jack

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
78mali350 said:
i vote woodgrain as well, you don't see it much for that matter i have not seen it around here ever. Like the color choice as well. Close to what mine is but not quite :D

The color on your car was one of my inspirations, but I wanted it just a little darker.

350_85cutty said:
you love those Heater Box's don't you! sweet wagon...how would you do the woodgrain? paint some fauxgrain?

I do, the factory non a/c heater box is the way to go.
For the woodgrain I'd use the same vinyl stuff they used from the factory.
I debated whether or not to get all the stock trim that the woodgrain cars have, but instead of dealing with that and having to weld studs all down the sides of the car, I'm going to put it on in the factory style, but instead of the aluminum trim surrounding it, I'll just use some 1" wide or so pinstriping tape to cover the seam.

This green '79 is probably my biggest influence. It slipped through my fingers on eBay about 2 years ago. I'm still pretty pissed about it... Both of these cars show where the woodgrain is supposed to be.

31736620016_large.jpg

I've been thinking about swapping my four light nose for the '78 or '79 like the one above.

31736620019_large.jpg

And here's a really nice '82 that was on ebay as well about a year or so ago. Mine doesn't have the stainless moldings on the door, fender, and quarter bottoms. Mine just has the rocker molding like the '79.

31736620017_large.jpg

31736620018_large.jpg

31736620020_large.jpg

31736620015_large.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Don't know if this has been posted here before or not.
WoodysWag.jpg

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Now that is a really sharp wagon, as are some of the others with wood grain. I voted no, but if its done right it looks great. The only ones i have ever seen in person looked like crap, and that is how i based my opinion, but you guys are changing my mind! Its up to you, but if you make it look as good as these i say go woodgrain.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
The shop I've been working at lately does custom airbrushing and I considered that for the woodgrain, but cost was a big factor, and I don't want a 'custom' looking car. I enjoy the campy look of the vinyl. I'd definately go with a darker shade, like the green '79 has. The burgundy '82 looks lighter and washed out. Still a tough decision...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor