'83 Cutlass Cruiser Build Thread

Been debating adding the vinyl woodgrain trim around the car once it's painted. Should I do it?

• Yes, that wagon needs woodgrain

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No, leave that wagon smooth and simple.

Votes: 22 64.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think once the front is lowered, it will probably look good in relation to the rear height. And again, you'll see after the front comes down.
Have a nice Memorial Day holiday. Hope you're able to get what you want to accomplish done.
The car looks great, man.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I absolutely love that car! I think with the front coming down it will be good but with a car that awesome it's good even if it's bad

• Agree

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I just want it back the way it was! lol

0024.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It actually sat pretty nice before. Were those stock springs? I would think that's the height you'd want to shoot for again. The old springs were probably on the soft side anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
FWIW, I have untrimmed Moog 5660 fronts in mine, and what I presume to be the originals in the rear...for reference

a4XAOU.jpg

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Jack, the old pic is when it still had the original V6 springs in it.
The stance was perfect, but they were too soft...

I have uncut Moog 5600 springs up front now, and it sits just as high and rides just as stiff as the Monte SS springs I had before...
So the new set are Moog 5596... I'm still debating whether or not to install them and see where it is, or to just premptively knock an inch off them before I even put them in...

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, the old pic is when it still had the original V6 springs in it.
The stance was perfect, but they were too soft...

I have uncut Moog 5600 springs up front now, and it sits just as high and rides just as stiff as the Monte SS springs I had before...
So the new set are Moog 5596... I'm still debating whether or not to install them and see where it is, or to just premptively knock an inch off them before I even put them in...
Blake,
That's a hard call. My springs were put in years ago and were also a bit on the high side. I used Moog 5606 springs which were standard 442 springs. It has settled nicely over the years. When I first put them in I was still living in NYC, so having a bit of height to clear potholes and other road obstructions . I also was using 225/70 x 15 tires.
My friend with the Cutlass Cruiser ended up using Moog 5658's in his car. A touch softer than the 5660's, but he likes the way the car sits with them. I haven't seen it since, though.
I know doing front springs can be a pain in the *ss...plus having to remove them and cut and/or try different combinations until you're satisfied.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Planning on taking this to the show formerly known as Car Craft again this summer? Or the 442?

I plan to have the 2+2 at the autocross since they made it big last year and I can actually use the power this year.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Well, of course I didn't do any work on the wagon last weekend lol
Although I did clean out all the stuff in the garage that had gotten piled around the cars over the winter... so now I actually have room to work!
I'm out of excuses now... guess it's time to get to it!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor