83 Cutlass Shifter Handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokinJoe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2020
Yukon, OK
Has some play in it. I realize the clip on the side holds it in place. Should it wiggle any or does the clip/pin needed replaced?

Mac442

Master Mechanic
Apr 25, 2020
Ocean County, NJ
It’s usually not the pin that’s the problem but the plastic handle that the pin goes into. It’s probably cracked. Pull the pin and the handle and take a look.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm seconding Mac442 's assessment. The "pin" is actually a big fat staple of sorts. Or horseshoe clip. While it could be loose, it's unlikely as it's more of a spring than a regular staple and if the staple is broken that's an issue, as well as if the groove of the inside piece gets damaged and doesn't hold the handle where it should be.

Is the movement at the joint? If so, it's likely broken on the inside. The shifter handle is a T-100 Terminator unit. Plastic endo-skeleton covered by a vinyl skin. The outer skin looks perfectly fine, until you start to move it. Then it wriggles. It may still function most likely, but you can move the top section of the shifter handle while the "neck" stays still.

At that point, the shifter handle is toast. With the difficulty of finding a non-functioning button and chrome trim handle bits by themselves nowadays, it's usually more TIME-efficient to purchase the entire reproduction handle and just replace it and move on. Oh, and maybe even cost-efficient, but I don't know. The complete T-handles aftermarket hover around the $100 mark usually, more or less. But if you priced out the GM parts to build one on your own, if you could even find them, you'd probably be breaking even or ahead by getting the repro. And being a run of the mill T-handle, nobody will notice it's an aftermarket. They look quite good. Have no idea of their durability, however.

Not sure what colors are available, however. I know they make the black/blue/claret ones aftermarket.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SmokinJoe

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2020
Yukon, OK
I plan to take a look at this weekend as I'm pretty sure you two are correct. It functions fine just, but does feel loose at the "joint", I've located the aftermarket ones and will most likely be purchasing one. Just having a hard time finding the "dark brown" one--I think the interior color was called DK Briar Brown. This isn't my care, but below is the color I'm looking for:

1593609885831.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor