83 cutlass supreme 307 y code- power steering bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
I'm trying to get the brackets out of the way to change a water pump- I have the nuts off on the pump stud & the block stud as well as the bolt & nut under the alt'
Are there any others?? What an I missing?? It doesn't budge . Could be on me, but would like any help - I did the w/p 10 years ago & can't remember it being this hard. Factory 2 vol shop manuals are no help
Thanks!!!!!!
To clarify- I'm just trying to get the bracket off so I can change the w/p- not trying to do the p/s pump

Last edited:

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
If I recall there is one nut/bolt that ties the LOWER Alternator bracket to the P/S bracket you would have to remove to separate them and slide the P/S Pump and brackets off the Water Pump studs. I think the P/S bracket is threaded, and it's a13mm bolt that goes in there, though some may actually use nut & bolt.

brackets.JPG

Last edited:

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
Bracket looks a little diffrent Than mine, I already have the upper nut off the w/p stud bracket also goes to a stud on the block & I have that nut off as well. Is there something behind the p/s pump? thanks, drawings were helpful- are they on the internet & if so link please

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
What about the bracket bolt on the block just above the oil pan behind the pump??? Be careful, there's a spacer (or should be) in there when you take the bolt off. It's a 5/8" head IIRC.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
These diagrams are very handy. If the spacers are left out, expect sqeeling belts or them flying off. The accessory attachment on the Olds V8 is my least favorite part.

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
using 69hurstolds diagram, brackets marked 7 & 9 would need that bolt/nut removed (#4 in the circular callout) to be taken out so the P/S bracket and pump can slide forward off the water pump/front cover studs.

I do recall some earlier 307's may have had that #4 bolt still go through the same P/S bracket (9), but there was a bracket that went to the exhaust manifold bolt. Frontmost one on driver's side exhaust manifold instead of the #7 ALT bracket.

You do definitely need to pull that 5/8 head bolt/spacer from the engine block driver side, just above the oil pan rail as well, but it sounded like you got that one already.

1577029582803.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor