83 cutlass vehicle speed sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
I have an 83 cutlass - dad bought new- at the same time, he bought the factory shop manuals.
question- how can I get the black "adapter" for the gauges back far enough to change the vehicle speed sensor? I have everything disconnected including the left vent for the a/c that is not mentioned in the manual.?
I can get it part way, but then it is hung up or connected to something.

Need to get this done to clear the check eng lite - automatic smog check fail

thanks for the help!

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You'r probably hung up on the speedo cable. That needs to be disconnected before the cluster comes out. I have a 85 sensor that jumps if you want it.

Just curious- why do you need the VSS working for emissions? I thought it was only for the cruise...

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
You'r probably hung up on the speedo cable. That needs to be disconnected before the cluster comes out. I have a 85 sensor that jumps if you want it.

Just curious- why do you need the VSS working for emissions? I thought it was only for the cruise...
nope all items are out speedo, tach etc. & cable. that would be too easy... if check eng lite is on for any reason- automatic calif fail.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Then, IIRC, the VSS module is secured to an under dash bracket; its hardwired to the VSS. Look for a mint green box about the size of a cigret pack above the E-brake release.

jim83

Apprentice
Mar 21, 2018
Then, IIRC, the VSS module is secured to an under dash bracket; its hardwired to the VSS. Look for a mint green box about the size of a cigret pack above the E-brake release.

It's attached to the back of rhe black plastic adapter that the cluster goes into, have all screws/ connectors out & can see it, just cant get the adapter far enough back to access it. Shop manuel _factory) says ez what am i missing? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor