83 elcamino ticking sound in engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
my 83 elcamino 305 just started ticking last night like a lifter make me sad, i drove it all day yesterday and it was fine but last night i started it up and starting ticking, i tryed to use a wooden bar to feel for vibrations and it didnt feel like much . it was a quart or oil low i filled it and the sound didnt really go away . what do i do? is it something to worry about? the motor runs great dont smoke and has some balls for a 305 .... any advice or input? Thanks gbody freinds!

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
exhaust leak? does is sound louder on one side of the motor? does the ticking rate increase with RPMs?

I use a giant screwdriver or pry bar and put my ear on one end to try to isloate noises

elcaminodan

Greasemonkey
May 8, 2012
It doesn't increase with rpms. .id say its on passenger side of engine..iused a prybar icouldnt really isolate the sound...but idont think its a exhaust leak it went away for a while but now is back but quiter........
LS1GN said:
exhaust leak? does is sound louder on one side of the motor? does the ticking rate increase with RPMs?

I use a giant screwdriver or pry bar and put my ear on one end to try to isloate noises

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
If it is loud when you first start it up and then it quiets down it is often valvetrain/lifter. Some people change to a different viscosity oil in these cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor