83 Hurst Olds -- Convert from 2 post UN3 to 1.5 DIN UM6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adhingra

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2019
Nashua, NH
Hi Everyone! I have an 83 Hurst which came with a Delco 2 post UN3 (later upgraded to Alpine unit, amps, speakers in the late 80's). It's time to replace the radio and speakers. I have seen *some* 83's for sale which had the 1.5 DIN UM6 ETR radio (seems to have been more common in 84's?). Additionally I see the UN3 listed as an 83 RPO code.

Here's what I would love:

- Replace existing Alpine with refurb'd UN3 (also contains bluetooth and aux-in) and find a Hurst bezel which will work. Here's the radio I'm thinking of:

Questions:

1. Is this do-able? Can it fit?
2. What bracket will I need to install?
3. Can I get a bezel which will work in this application?

I don't need to blow the doors off, I just want something which can easily handle some old AC/DC (lots of old cassettes), have bluetooth, and look factory original.

Attachments

• hurst-console.JPG
    hurst-console.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 269

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
It will fit your car with a few extra parts. You will need the plastic G body cutlass side brackets and rear locator post to install it (pm me if interested) and of course an 84' stereo bezel. I don't remember what electrical plugs a pre 83' stereo has. If they are different you can likely buy an adapter harness so you don't have to cut your factory plugs & wires.
Good luck

adhingra

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2019
Nashua, NH
It will fit your car with a few extra parts. You will need the plastic G body cutlass side brackets and rear locator post to install it (pm me if interested) and of course an 84' stereo bezel. I don't remember what electrical plugs a pre 83' stereo has. If they are different you can likely buy an adapter harness so you don't have to cut your factory plugs & wires.
Good luck
Thanks for the info, and the kind offer! This past weekend, I installed some new 4x10's and sprayed out the controls of the Alpine 7267 which has helped significantly! Upon reflecting on this somewhat, I have decided to refurbish the Alpine head unit (these were the schnizzle back in the day, afterall! It's from 1987!!) and augment with new speakers and possibly some amp work.

The UM6 will be no doubt super cool retro, however the Alpine after market installed in `87 fits the bill as well!

Thanks again for the info and kind offer,much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor