83 Hurst/Olds Engine Swap 307 with 5.3 LS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apexweights

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2015
Hey guys, I have a 83 Hurst/Olds. I love Oldsmobile's, but the engines are not my favorite. I am going to swap my 307 with the LS4 5.3. I just want to confirm some things with you guys. I am going to change the LS4 to carbureted, and buy the timing module with the intake manifold. I bought the engine mounts, but I was wondering about the 200r4 transmission bolting up to the LS4? Am I going to run into any problems? By the way I did take the transmission to a shop and they beefed up my transmission a few years ago. The 5.3 came out of a truck, so I don't know if I need to get an adaptor.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
If it's out of a truck, you won't need an adapter. But you will need a crank spacer.

BTW, if it's an aluminum 5.3 out of a truck, it's either a L33 or LM4.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I thought LS4 where the oddball FWD versions of the LS motors and only have a bolt pattern for FWD transaxles along with a shorter crankshaft?

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
if it truly is an ls4, then you have a fwd 5.3 out of a Monte/Impala SS/GXP. The bell housing might bolt up to an f body 3800 4l60e but that would be about it for rwd transmissions.

Apexweights

Greasemonkey
Mar 26, 2015
Thats true but the LM7 is the exact same as the LS4 except for the LM7 is rwd and the block is cast. So sorry about that. I should reword my question. Should the LM7 bolt right up with my 200r4 transmission with out any issues? Haha.

mymontess

Greasemonkey
Dec 23, 2014
North York, Ontario, Canada
Hello & welcome from Toronto, Canada.
Please show us pix of your ride & good luck with the swap.

Rod

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
the 200r4 will bolt up to an ls block. you can use the 5.3l flexplate, but you will need a crank shaft spacer and longer bolts. also, you can use the 200r4 torque converter but will need to elongate the t/c holes on the flexplate to get the two to bolt up.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
You sir have an LM7 not an LS4. My apologies if someone pointed that out already i just skimmed over the replies.
If you are wanting to use the 200r4 the bell housing pattern is the same on the LS minus 1 bolt you can only use 5. Dont try to tap the 6th hole either it goes into a water jacket. 5 is fine. You will need a spacer between the converter and flywheel to get rid of a potential vibration. You can get them on Jegs, eBay wherever lol. The bolt pattern is a tiny bit different on the LS flywheel compared to the older 200r4. Alot of people egg them out so bolts go through. I just bought the TransDapt kit for mine. Came with a flywheel drilled for older trannys, the spacer, and bolts for like $100 i think it was.

I saw you wanted to buy the ignition box and intake together?? I assume thats the Edelbrock Box and performer intake and that runs over $700. If you buy the MSD box and a Holley intake you can get them both for about $600 plus the MSD box has a port for a PC to set a timing curve where as the Edelbrock box doesnt much better deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor