83' Hurst Olds vin

Status
Not open for further replies.

83hrstolds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2018
Hello, this is my first post so hopefully it goes smooth. I recently bought an 83' Hurst Olds, everything seemed great up until now. I was doing some research on the vin and it doesn't have the 9 in the vin code, but when i run the vin it comes up as an 83' my first thought was i have a clone, however, everything on the car is stock 83' H/O. All the interior the TH200-4R trans, the 307 H/O engine, Hurst lightning rods, dark maple interior, badges, trim, everything. i even checked the tire sizes which are marked on the inside of the driver side door and they are the same as a 83' hurst should be. Also those tire sizes only came on the 83-84 hurst then again on the 85-87 442's the size is 215/65/15. One more thing is is has the AC shutoff switch above the peddle, this switch turns off the ac when the gas is fully pressed and is only present in hurst olds/442s . So at this point i am very confused. It has every aspect an 83' hurst should have except the vin doesnt have that 9. idk what to think at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated. could the vin have been misprinted?

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 6,162
  • IMG_2024.jpg
    IMG_2024.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 947
  • IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 796
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_2029.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_2030.jpg
    IMG_2030.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_2032.jpg
    IMG_2032.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 1,012
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Hello, this is my first post so hopefully it goes smooth. I recently bought an 83' Hurst Olds, everything seemed great up until now. I was doing some research on the vin and it doesn't have the 9 in the vin code, but when i run the vin it comes up as an 83' my first thought was i have a clone, however, everything on the car is stock 83' H/O. All the interior the TH200-4R trans, the 307 H/O engine, Hurst lightning rods, dark maple interior, badges, trim, everything. i even checked the tire sizes which are marked on the inside of the driver side door and they are the same as a 83' hurst should be. Also those tire sizes only came on the 83-84 hurst then again on the 85-87 442's the size is 215/65/15. One more thing is is has the AC shutoff switch above the peddle, this switch turns off the ac when the gas is fully pressed and is only present in hurst olds/442s . So at this point i am very confused. It has every aspect an 83' hurst should have except the vin doesnt have that 9. idk what to think at this point and any help would be greatly appreciated. could the vin have been misprinted?

Can you post a picture of the vin. It seems all the hurst parts are there but it wasnt too hard to clone a hurst back in the 80's you just walked in olds dealer and buy the parts. It was exspencive but it was done i have seen it. Check the cowl tag, it's located below the drivers side wiper it should have W40 on it.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Only the 83-84 Hurst and 85-87 442 had a 9 in the vin. The roller 307 started in mid 1985 production but only in cutlass Y vin then carried over to all 86-88 Y and 9 vins. 1985 442 was a non roller engine. There are some Cadillacs rear drive that came with 307HO engine and with a 9 in the vin.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Not the same car, Mike... look at the red stripe on the bumper cover... But that doesn't mean that this isn't a different stolen car.
I hate to jump to conclusions when it comes to something like this, but it's a lot easier to cut out a windshield, pull the dash back a bit and replace the VIN tag than it is to collect every piece and build a clone...
Look at the body tag on the cowl, that will have relevant info as well as to whether or not the car is legit.
I would be pulling the dash back to get a look at the rivets holding the VIN tag in place...

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
From all accounts of the pics it sure looks like an H/O. And it doesn't look like the one that was jacked. Reason I say that is the corner decal rub doesn't look the same, and I doubt if someone would restripe it and then fugg it all up again because the stripes do not appear to be recent. Plus the wheels on it look like the original "almost" clearcoated wheels that always look dull vs. the chrome-look wheels on the one that was jacked. You don't normally put more-correct wheels on something to sell it once you thieved it. Check a few of the numbers as people has said. like the cowl tag for the "W40", the block and "OZ" transmission numbers for VIN derivatives. Also the back driver's side of the carb should be a VIN 9 number 17083553. Look up under the car above the passenger side axle for the gas line heat shield (copy cat VIN 9ers almost always forget this). The fact that the tach plate shows your OD selection and the fact it needs the "extension" for the 4R transmission screams original H/O.

Methinks if the VIN is not correct, it's because someone needed to retitle the car for WHATEVER reason with a different VIN. Could be prior theft, could be a million other reasons someone changed the VIN.

If you post the VIN but WITHOUT the final 6 numbers for privacy if you choose, we can decipher it for you. Or, an 83 H/O VIN should be like this.....EXAMPLE: 1G3AK4796DM416269 where the red numbers are your variables. All the black numbers MUST be there or your car wasn't an 83 Cutlass Calais with a 307 V8 made in Lansing destined to be a Hurst/Olds. The first "6" in this case is a check digit. The check digit is how you can verify the VIN. There's calculators out there to make sure the check digit is right. There's a few manual methods too, but it's a PITA because you have to be able to do math. The last 6 is the sequential number.

Hope this helps. (Note- the VIN above is from an actual 83 Hurst/Olds that was stole on 2/4/2010. If you own this car or know of this car, it has been stolen in the past and never recovered).

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Probably not the same but very similar, heck tires are almost the same...
This is true. That caught my eye right out of the gate thinking the car may be the same, but further inspection makes me doubt it. But not ruling anything out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor