83' Hurst Radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiaTia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 9, 2011
Ok guys my 83' Hurst/Olds with 49,*** miles has a bad radiator. The shop can fix it but I am looking at $450 is there some place I can buy an original replacement or very very close? I am doing my best to be original.

Thanks

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Ok guys my 83' Hurst/Olds with 49,*** miles has a bad radiator. The shop can fix it but I am looking at $450 is there some place I can buy an original replacement or very very close? I am doing my best to be original.

Thanks
Depending on how original you’re going for and your budget, you can pick up an original GM replacement (P/N 20982) from Rock Auto for $245

Attachments

• DAEBCEA3-9597-4513-ACB0-FA468F549CC7.jpeg
    DAEBCEA3-9597-4513-ACB0-FA468F549CC7.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 77

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Spend the 450 if you want it to stay and look orginal.

Radiator part number for the original is 3043077. ACDelco number of 20065. I found one about 10 years ago still in the box, I felt blessed. Most of the ones to replace it have plastic tanks and sh*t you may have to block off, etc., and don't appear exactly like the original. It just depends on how you want it to look over function.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Spend the 450 if you want it to stay and look orginal.

Radiator part number for the original is 3043077. ACDelco number of 20065. I found one about 10 years ago still in the box, I felt blessed. Most of the ones to replace it have plastic tanks and sh*t you may have to block off, etc., and don't appear exactly like the original. It just depends on how you want it to look over function.
GM Parts direct is showing those numbers as discontinued for the Cutlass Supreme, if I’m not mistaken the Hurst/Olds was based on the Calais which is showing P/N 20982 for the 1983 Vin 9 Calais (Genuine GM)

Last edited:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used the same one from Summit in my wagon. Seems like a quality piece. Copper and brass not aluminum with plastic tanks.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I used the same one from Summit in my wagon. Seems like a quality piece. Copper and brass not aluminum with plastic tanks.
I replaced mine 2-3 years ago and just went with an all aluminum 3-core, didn’t realize it was for a manual trans so I just ended up putting in a separate auxiliary trans cooler and ran the lines directly to that. At least now I don’t have to worry about cooking the trans if I overheat🤷🏻‍♂️

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I replaced mine 2-3 years ago and just went with an all aluminum 3-core, didn’t realize it was for a manual trans so I just ended up putting in a separate auxiliary trans cooler and ran the lines directly to that. At least now I don’t have to worry about cooking the trans if I overheat🤷🏻‍♂️
I went with the summit radiator because I didnt want to mess with the hold down brackets/rubber. I tried that with a Griffing in the 81 and wound up buying a high dollar copper/brass.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
I went with the summit radiator because I didnt want to mess with the hold down brackets/rubber. I tried that with a Griffing in the 81 and wound up buying a high dollar copper/brass.
If I remember correctly I just had to cut about 3/4 of an inch out of the rubber hold downs/insulators, it took a little time but they came out pretty good, I couldn’t wait another 2 weeks to ship it back and wait on the right one. Plus I had been meaning to put a trans cooler in anyway…plus now I’m all set for that 4-speed I’m never going to get around to putting in!

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
GM Parts direct is showing those numbers as discontinued for the Cutlass Supreme, if I’m not mistaken the Hurst/Olds was based on the Calais which is showing P/N 20982 for the 1983 Vin 9 Calais (Genuine GM)
Well, yeah, that number is discontinued from GM. They only made it 40+ years ago. But if you're wanting to restore it to what's correct, that's the ONLY number you had. So rock turning you must go.

No, you're not mistaken, the H/Os were based on the Calais. However, that 20982 you have isn't a GM part number. Maybe an AC Delco number, but not a GM number. The GM number is 52481615 which says it fits. Still, that could be debateable. It fits a lot of applications. But never call that an original replacement because it's not. It's still aluminum and plastic with sh*t you have to block off for use in an 83 H/O. No matter what number you stamp on the box. The original radiator was a 3043077. Period. And there's no way you can say the current GM part number that says fits the car is the original, because it's not.

The Summit radiator will be the closest to what the original was without finding an actual original. And it's made as universal as possible as well.

If you're going to look up what part number to use, you need to look it up and find out whether it's got HD cooling or not, and A/C (all VIN 9 Oldses had A/C), and a 307.

1676311500540.png

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor