83 Monte wiring diagram help

Status
Not open for further replies.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
I am trying to figure out why I get no power or lights or anything in my monte SS .. now given there is no motor in the car currently but I am trying to clean up the wiring before I put the motor in. Problem is I got the car and the wiring was kind of hacked up already. Here is where I currently am and I hope someone has some insight. I was looking at the malibu racing and alldata diagrams but im still at a loss

There are 2 fusible link wires in a single eye hook connector = that should have been on the + (hot) side of the starter solenoid.

There is a broken wire with no conncter that is thick like the fusible link wires = I assume this was on the switched side of the starter solenoid.

When I send power to the fusible link wires they have power after the fusible link and then the fuse box has power.

After the fuse box I loose all power, no headlights, turn the key and i get no gauge movement, no power to anything (the voltage gauge moves slightly)

the other issue I found was that it had an alarm installed and it appears the starter kill wire was cut so I re-connected that.

I am changing the ignition switch (just because it is cheap insurance) but I am very concerned that I can't get power to anything in this car. What else could my problem be. my understanding of this car was that it was a very simple setup where :

Battery + connects to hot side of starter solenoid --> the fusible links provide power to the fuse box --> does it go to the igniton switch next then to the items ? or visa versa...

I am a mechanic I just hate wiring and have to say I am at a loss right now, its cold out and I am trying to do this whenever I get some down time so its being done in bits and pieces...

I appreciate any and all help ! thanks

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
have you made sure the body is grounded?

I am leaning towards this being the problem... i stopped playing with the wiring for now and I am finishing building the motor once i swap it in I will figure out the wiring stuff....

I did change the ignition switch because it was all corroded and I tested it and it does send the signal to the purple wire.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Does anyone have a picture/diagram of the fuse panel? I can't find sh*t on alldata for some reason.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
okay assuming this is the correct use panel for my car (seems to be)
obviously the listings showing amps have fuses there.. what about the ones that dont? ignition (3 of them) and battery (2 of them) are they supposed to have wires pluged into them going out to somewhere or no ? some do some dont on my car not sure what was aftermarket (guy had lots of gauges and alarm and stereo ) so what is correct

I really appreciate it guys !
Horns.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
this might help....

dttech_98.gif

1. 5 Amp (Tan) - Instrument panel lights and lights-on reminder
2. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Choke heater
3. 30 Amp - Circuit Breaker. Power windows and sunroof
4. 10 Amp (Red) - Electronic control module
5. 25 Amp (White) - Heater and air conditioning
6. 20 Amp (Yellow - Stop and hazard lights
7. 25 Amp (white) - Windshield wipers
8. 10 Amp (Red) - Radio and cruise control
9. 30 Amp - Circuit Breaker. - Power door locks, seats and rear window defogger
10. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Courtesy lights, key warning chime, power antenna, horns, cigar lighter and clock
11. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Turn signals and back-up lamps
12. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Parking, side marker, license plate and tail lamps
13. 10 Amp (Red) - Warning lamps and buzzers, trunk release, torque converter clutch and vehicle
speed sensor
14. Not Used

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
this might help....

dttech_98.gif

1. 5 Amp (Tan) - Instrument panel lights and lights-on reminder
2. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Choke heater
3. 30 Amp - Circuit Breaker. Power windows and sunroof
4. 10 Amp (Red) - Electronic control module
5. 25 Amp (White) - Heater and air conditioning
6. 20 Amp (Yellow - Stop and hazard lights
7. 25 Amp (white) - Windshield wipers
8. 10 Amp (Red) - Radio and cruise control
9. 30 Amp - Circuit Breaker. - Power door locks, seats and rear window defogger
10. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Courtesy lights, key warning chime, power antenna, horns, cigar lighter and clock
11. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Turn signals and back-up lamps
12. 20 Amp (Yellow) - Parking, side marker, license plate and tail lamps
13. 10 Amp (Red) - Warning lamps and buzzers, trunk release, torque converter clutch and vehicle
speed sensor
14. Not Used
yes thank you !

what about the BAT and IGN where do those go ? or were those extra spots to connect items to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor