83Cj-7 budget bog project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmsforlife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2012
michigan
My moms 83 cj7 im fixing up to be our bogger she bought it 3 years ago. She broke the driveshaft, its been sitting since so i towed it to my highschool and am fixing it up. it has the 4.2 in it and has a soft and hard top

to do list
-battery (done)
-starter (done)
-fuel pump + filter (done)
-oil change (done)
-fix radiator and check for other leaks (in progress)
-driveshaft (in progress)
-transfercase rebuild or change out
-brakes
-find other misc problems and fix them

Attachments

• Unknown (6).jpeg
    Unknown (6).jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • Unknown (3).jpeg
    Unknown (3).jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 1,306
  • Unknown (7).jpeg
    Unknown (7).jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,312
  • Unknown (4).jpeg
    Unknown (4).jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,295
  • Unknown (1).jpeg
    Unknown (1).jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,313

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
trans cooler w/fan 8)

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Nice! Is that a steel valve cover I see? May have had an engine swap at some point? Lots of little tricks out there to make those 4.2's wake up a little more :mrgreen: .

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
i can definitely vouch for that 258 sounding badass lol. i was right there when it first started haha that things a beast!

gmsforlife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2012
michigan
Oldsmoletick said:
Nice! Is that a steel valve cover I see? May have had an engine swap at some point? Lots of little tricks out there to make those 4.2's wake up a little more :mrgreen: .

no i do not have a swap in mind but want to lift at some point but idk i like lots of power

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
May have worded that funny, lol, meant it already has been swapped, for an older engine (and or head). Not a bad thing though, the plastic covers suck.

gmsforlife

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 25, 2012
michigan
Oldsmoletick said:
May have worded that funny, lol, meant it already has been swapped, for an older engine (and or head). Not a bad thing though, the plastic covers suck.

haha yea i just read it wrong im a bad reader hahaha and yea not a fan of plastic covers

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I read in a tech article once that the later 4.0 head practically swaps directly onto the 4.2 block I think the only thing that needed to be changed to make it work was the pushrods. Gives a bit more compression and better breathing I think they said it's worth 25 horsepower with no other mods.

I could be wrong on that though... But it's worth looking into if you want a bit more power without doing an engine swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor