84 Buick Regal/5.3 PS issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

illegalRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2020
Ok, I have read about this issue 100’s of times and almost every thread I read is slightly different from my issue. My ps pulley is pressing up against the gear box. I have a 5.3 bolted to a 4l60E, G Force crossmember, G Force trans adjustable mount. When I push the motor back as far as it will go, it throws the crossmember bolt holes off with the frame holes, but then it has clearance with the pulley. When I set the crossmember to the correct position it wedges the ps pulley into the box. Can I make new holes on the frame or do I need an aftermarket bracket kit for the alternator and ps pump? I’m using all stock truck accessories. Thanks

GroceryGetter83

LS Mafia
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2018
Tampa, Florida
I just put a Dirty Dingo PS pulley; 5" diameter down from the 7". It helped the clearance on the steering box.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Frustratingly nobody puts LS engines in the same place. Some people put them forward and low, some up and back.

I home built my own mounts and have a stock truck PS pump pulley. Mine clears with 1" to the PS box.

Depending on the mount you can potentially slide the mounts back or use a different set of holes.

People use a 3.4 grand am PS pulley or the one off a 5.3 gmt360 chassis (TBSS, envoy denali or rainier) that is smaller.

1620053305257.png

Reactions: 2 users

illegalRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2020
Welcome to the forum. Looks like this is your first post. If you would have used the Holley system you wouldn’t be having this problem. What motor mounts are you using?
Welcome to the forum. Looks like this is your first post. If you would have used the Holley system you wouldn’t be having this problem. What motor mounts are you using?
I used these mounts from EBay

Attachments

• 304C9B2D-166A-441D-83A1-11CB2B4E24CE.jpeg
    304C9B2D-166A-441D-83A1-11CB2B4E24CE.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 110

illegalRegal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2020
Frustratingly nobody puts LS engines in the same place. Some people put them forward and low, some up and back.

I home built my own mounts and have a stock truck PS pump pulley. Mine clears with 1" to the PS box.

Depending on the mount you can potentially slide the mounts back or use a different set of holes.

People use a 3.4 grand am PS pulley or the one off a 5.3 gmt360 chassis (TBSS, envoy denali or rainier) that is smaller.

View attachment 174495
Thanks I appreciate that. So with that being said, I would probably need to use different holes on the frame mounts? Do the crossmember always go in the area where the holes are made from the factory?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Those mounts look to have a slotted hole for the bolt. I can't say that I like that because it could very easy to get the motor c*ck eyed/tilted. That might be some of your issue. How much clearance do you have between the bellhousing bolts and the firewall? If much more than a 1/2-3/4" on the driver side near the pinch, then that's why you're having interference.

The solution is to do whatever works - raise the engine, slide it back on, smaller pulley, etc. Whatever works is the solution and is easiest for you. Personally, if I were in your boat and the swap is completed other than this issue, then the smaller pulley would be for me - way easier that pulling the motor and trans to re-orient everything.

• Agree

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Ok, I have read about this issue 100’s of times and almost every thread I read is slightly different from my issue. My ps pulley is pressing up against the gear box. I have a 5.3 bolted to a 4l60E, G Force crossmember, G Force trans adjustable mount. When I push the motor back as far as it will go, it throws the crossmember bolt holes off with the frame holes, but then it has clearance with the pulley. When I set the crossmember to the correct position it wedges the ps pulley into the box. Can I make new holes on the frame or do I need an aftermarket bracket kit for the alternator and ps pump? I’m using all stock truck accessories. Thanks
You haven't read very much honestly, this was solved years ago. With the above posts showing the lack of information on what I have put out a long time ago, come on people....

TRUCK SMALLER POWER STEERING PULLEY: DORMAN 300-201, 300-202 is the metal pulley.

BOOM.

Big HUGE post, the first one in the sticky's in this section...

Can lead a horse to water but I guess you have to jam their skull in the bottom of the trough to get them to drink.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You haven't read very much honestly, this was solved years ago. With the above posts showing the lack of information on what I have put out a long time ago, come on people....

TRUCK SMALLER POWER STEERING PULLEY: DORMAN 300-201, 300-202 is the metal pulley.

BOOM.

Big HUGE post, the first one in the sticky's in this section...

Can lead a horse to water but I guess you have to jam their skull in the bottom of the trough to get them to drink.
That’s harsh dude, but unfortunately correct.

It’s the world we live in. I need the answer with no research and knowledge gained in 30 seconds or less lol.

• Agree
  • Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor