REGAL 84 Buick regal. Spring updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
So i purchased a new speedo housing and speedometer cable and their is fluid still leaking right through the piston hole. Could the gear be missing an o-ring? I thought the o-ring was in the new housing and nothing should be on the gear? But idk. Never saw or did this before

It was a 34 tooth gear with metal rod not plastic could that need to be replaced? I didnt change that i only changed the housing

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Big day!!

Car is at the shop! Getting the alignment done and some other minor stuff. Then off to the exhaust shop!

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I know was posted a while back but 2 core with 1" tubes will out cool a 3 core rad. The 3 core Champion, while it was well made, was marginal cooling the Olds 403 in my 88 Cutlass. A 307 is much easier to cool for sure, much thicker cylinder walls and coolant in between, unlike the 403. Does your distributor have a vacuum advance canister on it? If not, you will need a new distributor, the $50 ones on EBay are actually OK. Otherwise you will have no timing advance at all, the Olds V8 needs a lot to run right.

Last edited:

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I know was posted a while back but 2 core with 1" tubes will out cool a 3 core rad. The 3 core Champion, while it was well made, was marginal cooling the Olds 403 in my 88 Cutlass. A 307 is much easier to cool for sure, much thicker cylinder walls and coolant in between, unlike the 403. Does your distributor have a vacuum advance canister on it? If not, you will need a new distributor, the $50 ones on EBay are actually OK. Otherwise you will have no timing advance at all, the Olds V8 needs a lot to run right.
yes i am 99% sure it does, and its connected, but will double check. Car seems to be running pretty good right now. there are still a few hoses to the air cleaner i need to connec

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
So i just cant win. one step forward, two steps back.
new list of setbacks:

1. Alternator not charging - After much research (thanks to guys on here helping as always) I figured out how the system is supposed to work, and realized no power to brown wire on Pin 1. i think it has to do with the charging light. i have yet to dive into the repair.

2. after all the trouble with the speedo housing leak and the linkage seal, I thought we had the transmission squared away. after my son picked up car from the shop after alignment, the driveshaft seal blew while he was driving to gym ( he calls after the gym and says a huge puddle under the car) i was so frustrated i just told him to bring it to the transmission shop. i did not want to get under that car a 5th time to look at that transmission. $150.00 later and we are good. Guy also found out i didnt get all the old linkage seal out, (it disintegrated in pieces when I tried to remove) so it still had a some left in there. he fixed that as well as added a second seal to speedo housing

3 and last and definitely worst of all......on way home after picking up from transmission shop yesterday, i hear a clanking in engine.
I am pretty sure on of the lifters is stuck!!!

4. every time it rains, the passenger floor gets soaked. turns out the window isnt sealing properly and rain is coming in through there. if you lower the window with the door closed, then raise it, it doesnt go up all the way. door seal must be messed up. you actually have to open the door and raise the window, then close the door.

5. when I go in reverse, I noticed a kinda creaking noise coming from the back. i think its the axle. could it need fluid? the rear axle is one thing I never looked at.

So now, after being beat down at every turn, and fighting through, thinking i was done, I probably have to tear down the damn top end to replace lifters. i am hoping it just needs adjusting, but Im sure it wont be that simple. and fix all the other crap.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Hang in there. You will work out the bugs. You could just have a worn rocker bridge. Easy fix. If you really think a lifter is stuck, try Marvel Mystery oil before you tear it down. Car looks great!

Reactions: 1 user

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Hang in there. You will work out the bugs. You could just have a worn rocker bridge. Easy fix. If you really think a lifter is stuck, try Marvel Mystery oil before you tear it down. Car looks great!
Thanks! appreciate it.
I'm going to take a peak this Sunday and see whats what. I might just try that oil.
cant hurt

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm not sure what you mean by clanking sound. The rocker bridges are aluminum so they will wear and cause a ticking sound. An exhaust leak could also cause a ticking sound. What oil are you running? Are you running something zinc rich or running a zinc additive for the cam? Remind us, did the engine sit up for an extended period of time. If it did, you might have a stuck valve or lifter. That Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff. Well worth a try if you think that is the problem.

Reactions: 1 user

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I'm not sure what you mean by clanking sound. The rocker bridges are aluminum so they will wear and cause a ticking sound. An exhaust leak could also cause a ticking sound. What oil are you running? Are you running something zinc rich or running a zinc additive for the cam? Remind us, did the engine sit up for an extended period of time. If it did, you might have a stuck valve or lifter. That Marvel Mystery Oil is good stuff. Well worth a try if you think that is the problem.
yes, car sat in the storage place for almost 5 years, and before that was at a police impound yard for God knows how long. Guy who had it obviously did not take very good care of it by the look of how many things were ghetto rigged.

its not so much a tick (i hear that with the exhaust leak) its more of a clunk/clank sound and i narrowed it down to the #7 Cylinder area of the engine. i do believe it to be a stuck lifter or valve. i thinking of putting some in tonight and see what happens

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor