REGAL 84 Buick regal. Spring updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Just read the can and follow the recommendations. I think you replace 20% of the oil (1 quart) with the Marvel Mystery Oil. If you think it might be a stuck valve you might put some in the tank with the gas as well. I've had good luck with that stuff for these sorts of problems.

You didn't say, what kind of oil are you running?

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Just read the can and follow the recommendations. I think you replace 20% of the oil (1 quart) with the Marvel Mystery Oil. If you think it might be a stuck valve you might put some in the tank with the gas as well. I've had good luck with that stuff for these sorts of problems.

You didn't say, what kind of oil are you running?
oh sorry i forgot. i think we used Gastrol GTX high Mileage. honestly cant remember if it was 10W-40 or 5W-30

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I did a quick google search "Castrol High Mileage Zinc content" and didn't quickly come to the answer I was looking for. You want to make sure whatever oil you are running has enogh ZDDP for your flat tappet cam.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Small update:

Found out why my alternator wasnt charging. There was no buld or bulb housing. I guess this thing never worked
Instead of ripping out the cluster i used one of the ignition slot on the fuse block and put an inline 20amp fuse Also changed the plug in the alternator. Its charging properly now.

We also got the radio installed The psgr door speaker is not working but the driver door and new rears work. Im not thrilled with the sound of the 6x9’s i bought (rocksford fogsgate) but it works

Still having fuel gauge issues. I think its the gauge in the cluster itself. I pulled the face off the cluster and pulled out the gauge and on the pins im getting 101ohms on one pin and 80 ohms on the other with a full tank of gas. Does that sound right?

As far as lifter goes we put some additive and im going to drive it locally a few times then change oil and addthe marvel mystery oul with the fresh oul change and see what happens. If it does free the lifter i guess im pulling valve cover then if need be intake manifold. At that point might should i replace all? Or what should i replace?

As long as push rods are straight they are ok right to leave right?

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
In re-reading my post i sound illiterate But i swear its this iphone. Lol.
I type too fast and fat finger the letters so oil comes out oul

Just an fyi

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
So if it wasnt for bad luck i would have no luck at all

We take the car to get the exhaust done and the guy says the manifold is cracked. I didnt notice. So now its get headers or just stock manifolds? On the way how the plug on the water pump bust and brown nasty coolant goes all over. My son calls and i had to leave work and drive all the way up to stuart to get him off the side of the I95

I pulled the tstat out and changed the plug and got the car home. In the way home the new speedo cable stops working!!!

I need to step away from this car for a while

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
<< sounds like Chief Sh**ting Bull! take some time away to gather your wits, and jump back in... you'll be glad you did.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That plug won't last on the water pump, I would either reinstall the heater core or hook it into the other heater hose. These old cars, are just that, old. If you can get a replacement manifold for cheap, go for it. The Thornton stainless shorty manifolds are good for $300. But no crossover pipe can be used and the passenger side manifold is the early, angled 2 bolt flange. Your car has the straight 3 bolt flange on the passenger side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor