REGAL 84 Buick regal. Spring updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Manifolds are installed, got the new plugs in and checked TDC. Got the coolant system all flushed clean. Installed new hex head brass drain plugs in block and new thermostat and gasket. Filled up system and shes ready to exhaust shop to habe new jegs kit installed.

Hopefully no more problems for a while!!

Reactions: 5 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
So it seems my 307 is dead!!! it is making this Horrible clacking noise and We believe its coming from the bottom end of the engine.

after the exhaust was put on (looks great) i brought it to an old school engine guy down the street and he put it up on the lift. he said he thinks its something internal like a wrist pin or something. He ruled out the flexplate but i think he did that just by using the stethascope and not actually looking at it.
I didnt want him pulling anything apart, so there is nothing else he can do. He recommends pulling engine, the head, and dropping the pan if I wanted to know, but he said just buy the 350 i want and rebuld that.

i think once i tow the car home and wipe my tears, I will in my spare time pull the intake, and passenger side head and see what I can find. if everything looks good up top, i will just pull the engine and look for a replacement. i dont want to invest a ton of money into rebuilding a 307

sad day. i was so close to getting this thing on the road.

anyone have any ideas what could be clanking around. its not like a knock, its like a loud obnoxious metal on metal clanking?
what could have broke?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
make sure the flexplate bolts are tight and that the flexplate is not cracked.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
If it doesn't sound like a rod knock then don't lose hope yet. It might be a loose flex plate. My Sony had one on his Buick 350. Made some strange noises. I'll try to find the post. He posted a video. Here you go....

Reactions: 1 users

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have been bit by the loose flexplate bug twice now. Took me 2 times to come to my senses and put the dowel in the end of the crank for the flex plate. No idea if Olds is the same way. On mine I could lay under the car and with both hands move the flexplate on the crank ever so slightly. Usually when that happens the holes turn into ovals and its time for a new flex plate.

Also when mine happened, the noise went away if I revved the engine up. Food for thought

Reactions: 1 users

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
If it doesn't sound like a rod knock then don't lose hope yet. It might be a loose flex plate. My Sony had one on his Buick 350. Made some strange noises. I'll try to find the post. He posted a video. Here you go....

its sounds more violent than that but i will double check. also, i forgot to note, when i pulled the plugs a few weeks ago, #8 electrode was bent all the way over and touching like if something crushed it. right before i took it to the exhaust shop, I put new plugs and checked the gap. he pulled #8 and said it was soaking wet and not firing, but wasnt bent? i dont know how its related, but the noise is coming from right below that cylinder.
could be coincidence or another problem

i found a guy up by Orlando with a 78 Olds 350 fro $400. he said it ran when he pulled it to upgrade. its still all Gold, including valve covers. i may pick that up and rebuilt it, then just swap it in. that was always my plan, just not as soon as this
i am waiting for him to send me serial # and casting #'s to confirm date, etc.

• Winner

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
its sounds more violent than that but i will double check. also, i forgot to note, when i pulled the plugs a few weeks ago, #8 electrode was bent all the way over and touching like if something crushed it. right before i took it to the exhaust shop, I put new plugs and checked the gap. he pulled #8 and said it was soaking wet and not firing, but wasnt bent? i dont know how its related, but the noise is coming from right below that cylinder.
could be coincidence or another problem

i found a guy up by Orlando with a 78 Olds 350 fro $400. he said it ran when he pulled it to upgrade. its still all Gold, including valve covers. i may pick that up and rebuilt it, then just swap it in. that was always my plan, just not as soon as this
i am waiting for him to send me serial # and casting #'s to confirm date, etc.
I'd say you found your issue. A dead hole and a noise coming from it isn't a coincidence. Time for a 350. Sorry man

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor