REGAL 84 Buick regal. Spring updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
i will look. he says if the flexplate was cracked the noise would change when we put the car in gear, but I dont know.

I have heard different sounds from a cracked fleplate, I have heard sound like a bearing knock and like a scraping
its sounds more violent than that but i will double check. also, i forgot to note, when i pulled the plugs a few weeks ago, #8 electrode was bent all the way over and touching like if something crushed it. right before i took it to the exhaust shop, I put new plugs and checked the gap. he pulled #8 and said it was soaking wet and not firing, but wasnt bent? i dont know how its related, but the noise is coming from right below that cylinder.
could be coincidence or another problem

i found a guy up by Orlando with a 78 Olds 350 fro $400. he said it ran when he pulled it to upgrade. its still all Gold, including valve covers. i may pick that up and rebuilt it, then just swap it in. that was always my plan, just not as soon as this
i am waiting for him to send me serial # and casting #'s to confirm date, etc.

When you find a problem like you did with #8 you need to stop. Those problems don't go away no matter how much you ignore them. If you want to keep the engine and rebuild it it is always cheaper to do it before the engine blows up.

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I have heard different sounds from a cracked fleplate, I have heard sound like a bearing knock and like a scraping

When you find a problem like you did with #8 you need to stop. Those problems don't go away no matter how much you ignore them. If you want to keep the engine and rebuild it it is always cheaper to do it before the engine blows up.

we havent been driving it, I found the plug issue when i pulled them to check compression just for piece of mind. i couldnt really hear the noise with no exhaust on the car. we towed it to the exhaust shop and once that was all fixed, thats when we really heard it

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL

hey guys. here is the noise we were discussing., take a listen and see if you think it sounds like the flexplate or wrist pin, etc

thx

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
are you getting oil up to the valve train?
I havent dove in yet to troubleshoot so im not sure Brought it home from exhaust shop and its been sitting. I been working 7 days a week but im going to start looking and disassembling tomorrow after work. I will check that

On a positive note exhaust sounds awesome minus the clack clack clack

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Too high pitched sounding to be lower end, in my opinion. I think it is a lifter or a rocker bridge.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hopefully it something minor....if you find a rocker or two real loose look for broken valve springs...

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Another one from the Mr. Sony Archive:

Also, check ALL the spark plugs. I bought a set from summit, 1 of them was a completely wrong plug in the right box. If I would've put it in it would've smacked a piston, but it was in an R45TSX box like all the others. A dead hole would make a noise, but not the one you describe and thats in the video. Put another plug in it if you haven't. F8ck it. It's $2.

It kinda sounds like a rocker hitting the valve cover. It's rythmic, that's for sure. It's making noise in a very specific pattern, like a valve opening and closing, or something. The noise doesn't sound all that muffled, it may be something external. When my thunderbird bent a pushrod, it sounded kind of like that.

And fyi, Olds stopped painting blocks gold in '74. Gold paint means nothing on an oldsmobile engine past 74. '78 350 will have windowed mains, not as strong as a 73 and earlier block, and the heads I believe were made by pontiac and, well sucked. Flowed terrible and were crack prone. It's still a 307, so a 403, a 455, 425, or a 330 will swap in with very little hassle if you cant find a decent 350 to work with.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor