84' Cutlass pro touring build

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
More...
20240312_135438.jpg

I have a few questions that maybe someone can help with.
The driver side mirror became very loose. Wasn't like this when I received them from a member here. After doing research I realized that the cables need to be twisted clockwise to snug it up. I couldn't do it for some reason at the knob end so I had to remove the mirror and of course it cracked. Had it immersed in gas for over an hour as I've read that works. Not for this one. So it seems there are many manufacturers of replacement glass but I hear Burso is sized better than most? What do you guys think? Maybe Donovan can chime in since he just got his.
20240312_135707.jpg

Also these rear frame reinforcement plates... anyone installed them? I bought them long ago but I'm trying to wrap my head around how it strengthens the frame. I mean the bumper is pretty stout so isn't that enough?
20240312_153817.jpg

Sorry for the long winded post.

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Tony you use those bumper plates to weld a tube to, which in turn ties the frame rails together. The bumper is basically floating on the bumper shocks so no it doesn't help.

In addition, I don't think we're ever happy with our cars, except maybe Donovan LOL

• Haha
  • Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So it seems there are many manufacturers of replacement glass but I hear Burso is sized better than most? What do you guys think? Maybe Donovan can chime in since he just got his.

Have a look at my last post on my thread Tony, especially the part about installing the glass. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the fit of the ones I got off Rock Auto either. I forget the name brand ATM, but I can get it for you a little later. K Source or something like that.
Mine were too tall on the driver’s side, and cut wrong on the upper inside corner on the passenger’s side. I’m going to do some looking around and see if I can’t find some OEM GM ones.

Tony you use those bumper plates to weld a tube to, which in turn ties the frame rails together. The bumper is basically floating on the bumper shocks so no it doesn't help.

In addition, I don't think we're ever happy with our cars, except maybe Donovan LOL

Nah, that miserable old bastage ain’t happy with anything either!
😅

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana

I know about the welding and have some 2x2 square .125 wall
Just trying to get the jist in my head but you explained it very well. Those bumper shocks are not the strongest way to tie in the bumper into the frame. I'll handle it tomorrow and post results. Thanks again

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Have a look at my last post on my thread Tony, especially the part about installing the glass. I wasn’t terribly impressed with the fit of the ones I got off Rock Auto either. I forget the name brand ATM, but I can get it for you a little later. K Source or something like that.
Mine were too tall on the driver’s side, and cut wrong on the upper inside corner on the passenger’s side. I’m going to do some looking around and see if I can’t find some OEM GM ones.

Nah, that miserable old bastage ain’t happy with anything either!
😅
Yes I saw the K source. Most expensive not that it matters and I did read your thread about this. I wonder if I can just get a mirror cut? Hmmm.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor