84 Cutlass W/ buick V6 under the hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaqowt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2011
Shreveport, La
Ok, heres my isssue, I just bought a 84 Cutlass Brougham, looking to restore it. Under the hood is a (from doing my research) is a Buick 90 degree as its called V-6, with a Rochester Dualjet 210 carb on it. Initially the car wouldnt start, but with the help of a tooth brush it now starts, and then it wouldnd move. So, changed out the transmission filter and added some fresh fluid and now she's able to be put in gear. My problem now is when put in gear the engine stalls. Has anyone had any issues of this kind, and any advise on where to look for the problem?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Saying it stalls when you put it in drive is to vague... it could be a ton of things.
Rebuild the carb, that's the first start... also, make sure the lockup isn't stuck.
A good set of tools and Google search for troubleshooting and how to's can help fix her :D

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
Vacuum leak maybe.....
But that could be a nightmare in itself with that engine.

blaqowt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2011
Shreveport, La
Thx 88 and Chris for the reply. @ 88Oldshurst it will idle fine but when put in anything other than neutral or park the motor will sputter and then stall. @ Chris Van I was hoping that ugly V- Word wouldnt come up. It had a 350 SBC in from what I was told but replace with this V-6 and i think it was poorly replaced wires and hoses every where. Know of any good resources to look for a vaccum diagram?

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
From my experience with these V 6's.... Most of the vacuum lines are to emmissions stuff and if your car had a small block and then the v 6 put back in, chances are it's a vacuum line nightmare or most of it is not there anyway. The lines are bad about dry rotting too. You can probably get by with plugging most of this stuff off anyway.
Check especially around the carb and intake area.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
The Buick V-6 engines were plagued by MULTIPLE vacuum leaks. The biggest leak occurs in the bottom of the PVC hose above the intake manifold in front of the carb. take the hose off to inspect it. If it is spongy, replace it. The dual jet carbs also get vacuum leaks between the carb body and carb base. Take the carb off the engine and tighten the screws (they face up from the base into the body) Remove the idle limiter caps while you have it off. Check the choke pull-off diaphram for leaks. Push the plunger in and put your finger on the vacuum port. If it doesn't stay in, it's blown. Check ALL the other vacuum hoses, especially the hard plastic tubing used for the AC/heater vacuum. Finally, remove the EGR valve and check that the piston is closing completely and not kept open by a chunk of carbon. Check everything, you will likely find several leaks. A nice upgrade would be to replace the carb and distributor with pre-computer units from a '79 or so. GOOD LUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor