84 Cutty DIY Exhaust. Single to Dual. 350 transmission swap update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsan4000

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2012
Gracious hellos to Gbodyforum.com

Im still plodding along with my 1984 Olds cutlass supreme v6. She finally got a new dress (my first time painting anything, much less a car haha) and i must admit i impressed myself with how well it came out. Flat black with Orange pinstripe. I got a compliment 20 mins after the last strip of tape was pulled :). im like a proud Papa.

Again Huge thank yous to the great folks here at gbody for their help in my transmission swap (200 metric c to 3 speed 350). ... Final outcome: -------> SUCCESS

I did it all myself (yes EVERYTHING and BY MYSELF) yes it was difficult and NO i would NOT recommend it. But i will say Im extremely confident in being able to do it again myself if I had to. Long story short, I didn't seat torque converter correctly and had to break down the swap FROM SCRATCH and redo it all over again. Needless to say I smoothed out the removal and install procedures of a one man DIY transmission job Haha. But I overcame and now she drives like a champ.

So much so that Im now looking to do some performance upgrades. Turbos, Headers etc... Which is how I come to needing any ideas suggestions or recommendations regarding single cat back exhaust to dual exhaust (benefits? problems? useless?) I pulled a dual exhaust from a 1988 chevy Monte Carlo, and I have since pulled my stock single exhaust and placed them side by side. All Seems to match perfect in regards to mouting bracket, bends and clearances in terms of compatibility... But the truth is, I definitely see i bit off more than i can chew once i Realized I am going to need to pull the whole rear end to install this thing (the only thing left on my rear end at all is the AXLE haha) and i guess what i really want to know is...

Is there really gonna be an improvement in any areas of performance worthy of all this hassle?

I havent done any new fabrications, cutting of pipes etc so im not TOO invested in this project. BUT the next step will take 100% commitment. You guys have been great with my other project and i trust you guys wholeheartedly and no I wont get my feelings hurt if you think im screwing up and you let me know it. I guess i just want your feedback and suggestions so I dont ultimately do something i might regret or do unneccessary projects that ultimately dont add to performance and are then just wastes of time.

Again Thank yous to you all in advance and stay classy Gbodyforum.com

Arsan4000

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
Re: 84 Cutty DIY Exhaust. Single to Dual. 350 transmission swap up

Glad to hear you are doing this and learning. Great job so far. The exhaust should go back on the same way it came off the monte. Jack it up and set the frame on jack stands and lower the rear end and it will give you more room to install the tail pipes. Hope this helps.

Arsan4000

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 22, 2012
Re: 84 Cutty DIY Exhaust. Single to Dual. 350 transmission swap up

Thanks yav8. I did like you said about lowering the back end and it was crucial to getting the tail pipes in position correctly and bolted it. But everything else looks great . I have to reinstall the fuel tank tomorrow but after that I'll fire her up and let you know how she sounds... Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor