84 el camino lq4 swap dbw question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2020
Just got a lq4 out of an 06 Silverado cheap with wiring harness, pedal, computer etc all the accessories. I want to swap it into my 84 elcamino and use the existing th350 trans to save money. The 6.0 I have is drive by wire. I am trying to avoid the problems with the kick down cable. My question is to switch to drive by cable can I just get a cable throttle body and then have someone tune out the Dbw? I plan on buying an Ebay standalone harness anyhow, and they seem a lot cheaper and easier to find for a drive by cable set up with non electric trans. Any input appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4363.JPG
    IMG_4363.JPG
    372.7 KB · Views: 344
Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'm sure it can be done. Holley terminator X has ability for either or.
Be careful with the ebay wiring harnesses.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
All 97-02 LS computers can do DBC but only some 03-07. If you do convert it to DBW you need a PCM out of a 04 GTO or a 03+ savanna van as they were the only LS offered with DBC.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need to get the correct ECU for your trigger wheel, either 60 tooth or 24 tooth, and the same goes for the DBW vs. DBC. I'm not sure of the exact years, but 81Cutlass and northernregal sound as if they are.

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
Alright, so I've been in a very similar boat to you.

My first ls platform swap in 2015 was an 86' c10, 2001 5.3, ls6 cam, with a built 700r4. I bought all the conversion bracket and cables for the DBC throttle body from I think bowtie overdrives. I've adjusted my share of kickdown and tv cables, and I never got this sh*t to work right even after chatting with them. High line pressures and bizarre shift points. The 700r4 worked flawlessly, good line pressures and shift points in my buddys camaro with a 355.

I eventually grenaded that 700r4 in spectacular fashion when doing a rev limiter burnout, shot the servo cover somewhere never to be found again and dumped an estimated 8 quarts of atf on the road outside my apartment. Roommates helped push it into the garage, and I eventually went with the proper 4l60e and never looked back. The 4l60es never really held up to my driving style, but always performed and you, and your tuner with thank you with shift points and torque management you can adjust right there in the tuning software.

Now to today, finished up my 4.8/4l80e elco this spring. Before that I had a poorly built 355, and a 2004r built by extreme automatics and a nice converter. Sold the 2004r to a friend for less than half what i bought it for, and spent less than half of that buying a nice used low mileage 4l80e. Used lt1swap.com and the stock harness re-pinned in less than an hour for a 4l80e.

My advice, buy whatever 2wd auto came with your harness. If you want to go from lets say a 60e to an 80e, just do your research and make sure it's something you can handle.

Also, putting the dbw pedal in these cars isn't that bad from what i've seen. Did a swap not too long ago on a bmw using that pedal and it works flawlessly and wasn't that bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor