84 el camino swap v6 to v8 charging system issue need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh84elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2016
Hello new to the form So i did i swap from v6 to v8 i got the car running well just as i drive the charging system isnt working i notice the stock dummy light is very dim but on an got the altenator tested at auto zone an its in good condition & passed i got the braid ground from fire wall to the head of the motor & got a ground from chassy to the block not sure what i missed its giving me 12.3 and drops till the batt is dead ive looked on google an forms but tried everything i could any ideas of whats wrong

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK

Josh84elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2016
What wiring modifications were done during the swap?

Use the V6 harness, or something else?

Still running an ECM?

The 81+ cars are not as simple to swap as the early cars, as many functions are interfaced with the ECM, oil pressure sender, choke, etc.

There is a similar thread posted here https://gbodyforum.com/threads/new-alternator-acts-weird-and-barely-charges-battery.58548/

Some basic troubleshooting procedures are in the above thread

Ribbedroof Yes i did use the stock harness from the v6 it pluged up to altenator . connected grounds an the power for the dizzy not really familiar with the g body sene first time doing a swap on a g body .i pretty much took the swap out a 81 el camino an put it in my 84 didnt change ecm and didnt connect the factory oil pressure sender (replaced with a after market gauge for oil) or choke would there be an issue if i didnt connect them? If im not mistake the brown wire seems fine the dummy light is on ?if i disnt change the ecm an harness would that be a problem as well ?i got a hot wire off the harness to power the dizzy ?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
GM got really squirrely with wiring in the early/mid 80s. As an example, in 83/84 the 305 "only" got a choke heater relay that is also connected through the oil sender.

I am away on vacation and do not have my OE shop manuals with me to reference the wiring diagrams.

If you used the 81 HEI with any other harness/ECM, there will be code issues. It is possible that without the OE oil pressure sender, the charge circuit is incomplete. If you can't find the OE wiring diagrams, you could try "T" ing the original sender back into the circuit.

You might also consider using the underhood harness from the donor, if it was functioning correctly.

Josh84elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2016
GM got really squirrely with wiring in the early/mid 80s. As an example, in 83/84 the 305 "only" got a choke heater relay that is also connected through the oil sender.

I am away on vacation and do not have my OE shop manuals with me to reference the wiring diagrams.

If you used the 81 HEI with any other harness/ECM, there will be code issues. It is possible that without the OE oil pressure sender, the charge circuit is incomplete. If you can't find the OE wiring diagrams, you could try "T" ing the original sender back into the circuit.

You might also consider using the underhood harness from the donor, if it was functioning correctly.

Thanks for all the info Ribbedroof i dont have the donor car anymore sold it but im going to try and find the diagram on google .

Chevhead78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2016
Beaverdale, PA
upload_2016-3-17_10-59-2.jpeg
Does this help sometimes if the resistor or indicator light has bad connection it will act up.

Reactions: 1 user

Chevhead78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2016
Beaverdale, PA
On the delco two prong alternators all you really need is the one wire and you can buy them where they already have it connected internally so its a cleaner install only main power feed off alternator. I run one off of a 86 camaro with ac think its 80+ amps and just used factory pulley instead of serpentine.

Josh84elco

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 16, 2016
On the delco two prong alternators all you really need is the one wire and you can buy them where they already have it connected internally so its a cleaner install only main power feed off alternator. I run one off of a 86 camaro with ac think its 80+ amps and just used factory pulley instead of serpentine.

Chevhead78 thanks for diagrams so pretty much all i need is the brown wire off the clip and the power off the back of the altenator? ive read that you can jump the brown wire off a 12v wire can i run it straight off the batt or will it harm the charging cycle an over charge batt?

Chevhead78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2016
Beaverdale, PA
No it will not harm it at all these 10-12si alternators are a gem in the fact if you hook them up like that you can run them on anything we run them on our combine, two tractors and I have run them on several friends cars brackets can be found to retrofit them to almost any engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor