84 GP project

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewpie79

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I want to add to my GP and I cannot afford a 350. I am using this car to tool around in and play with. First question, has anyone installed a shift kit in their GP? If so which one? Second which headers (inexpensive but not cheap) to get. Does anyone use underdrive pulleys, electric fan and a transmission cooler? I have searched but every answer starts off with get a 350. Thanks for the information.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
actually my first thought is sell the kia and maybe the porsche and us the money on the GP :twisted:
i actually modded a ford dual-electric fan into my car, the 87 monte also had an electric fan. a trans cooler is always good insurance, especially in the desert!.
i have the flowtech afterburners and they work well (of course thats a SBC not a pontiac), you would also want to go with a full dual exhaust to really open things up.
underdrive pulleys are an iffy prospect. if you don't have enough RPM's for the accessories you will have problems. you do NOT want to underdrive the water pump, and the alternator takes very little HP to turn. that leaves the AC (you're in New mexico, i figure you want a/c)and the power streering. so unless it's a drag strip car under drive won't accomplish anything.
assuming it's a BOP 307, i think the #5 heads are recommended plus a good intake.

Derision

Master Mechanic
Jul 2, 2007
Jackson, New Jersey
megaladon6 said:
assuming it's a BOP 307, i think the #5 heads are recommended plus a good intake.

I thought that the Grand Prix came with the Chevy 305. Before '82, you had the 301 you could get as well... but I thought that after '82 (during which only the 231 V6 was available), it was a 305.

I agree, though... sell the Porsche and Kia. They'll just be in the way. ;-)

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
honestly i don't have a damn clue what engine came in what :oops:
if it's a chevy engine get small chamber vortec heads and a vortec bolt-pattern intake out of the junkyard or ebay.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
If its a 3.8 litre buick (I believe the only engine choice in 84 other than the 305) there is a dual carb intake set-up on e-bay right now. Add that, a cam, and some exhaust work (headers and true duals), and if its not fast at least it will look bad *ss. I had a 3.8 with a single 4 barrel in a RWD skyhawk and it was very fast, but also alot lighter.

kewpie79

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Wife drives the kia, and I need it to go skiing on the weekends. Porche, I am getting rid of that one however. The car has a 305 in it.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I am curious if it is a normal 924 or a 924 Turbo? Not that I would want one, but it is sort of a cool little car if it is a turbo. Isn't it a front engine/rear transaxle setup like a 928, 944 or 968? If I am not mistaken, the N/A variant of the engine was used in the 78 AMC Gremlin/Concord and 79 AMC Spirit/Concord with a carb instead of EFI (AMC switched to the Pontiac Iron Puke 2.5 4 in 80). I think it was also in VW's and Audi's from that time too.

kewpie79

Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2006
Albuquerque, New Mexico
It is non turbo, the engines were used in many VW and Audi's. I have not heard of them being in any AMC's however. It's engine is in the front and it is fun to drive. I pciked it up for one of my sons but he'd rather buy himself an Eclipse.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
the one thing about the 924's that i do like is that with the rear tranaxle setup you can swap in a chevy 350 pretty easily.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
How about putting drivetrain from the Porsche in the GP?

Better yet, a Pontiac 400 with the transaxle etc from the Porsche? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor