84 H/O shifter problem help plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlass383

Master Mechanic
Nov 24, 2009
Oklahoma City
Came back to the states for a week to finish the build on the hurst but when I went to op check the shifters it was a no go. The main shifter works ok, but the other two im at a lost. When I try to press down on the button on the second one I have to use both hands and when it does engage and I let go of the shifter, it moves right back. Without the second one locking into place I can't even move the first gear lever. Hope it makes sense lol.. do I need to adjust sumthing? I disconnect the shifter at the Trans then took the body off the frame....reconnected now this crap. Any help plz. Anyone have a diagram for the shifters? Do I need to rebuild them? If so who can?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Shifter cable isnt properly adjusted.
Trans bracket and cable pin on the gear selector need to be loosened, put the car in 1st and adjust accordingly.
If car wont go into park just adjust the pin slightly forward.
I typically put the trans bracket as far back as possible and have the pin in the middle but each car is different. If you have an aftermarket trans bracket you may need to tweek the bracket as a last resort.
Its easy to adjust, just takes patience and common sense.

T.Wagner

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
On a similar note, my 2nd shifter button is coming out. It still works fine, but the chrome part has come out of the ball so every time you want to use that shifter you have to make sure the button is in the hole to press it down. Is this another easy adjustment?

Thanks!

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
those are buttons that are screwed down. Make sure they are all the way screwed down. Also the cable has a stop on it when you unscrew the button, you can adjust it there. When you take it off you will see what I refer to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor