84 Hurst Olds project car value??

Status
Not open for further replies.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
So a guy i know up in Wisconsin has a 84 Hurst Olds project that he never finished and he has finally decided its time to let it go and I have first chance at it. Its a very original car, still has the original 307 and only 38,306 miles on it. He has owned the car for around 20 years. Started to work on it about 10-12 years ago and its been sitting since. I have never seen the car until last weekend because it has been stashed away in storage at his business. About 10-12 years ago he sanded most of it down to bare metal because the paint had become flat and since then it has sat bare metal. Absolutely no rust other than a small amount of surface rust that gathered through out the years but everything is solid and the original metal . We hooked a charger up to it and it fired up and there was no ticks or knocks in the motor all sounded good. All of the trans fluid is under the car, I'm not exactly sure where it leaked out from. The interior is in decent shape, there is a burn on the driver seat and some of the chrome inside has started to pit because it was left with the window down for all these years. There was or possibly still is mice living in the car i found a small nest behind the glove box and one on the intake but all the electrical stuff I tried worked well. I tested the lightning rods and it shifted into drive fine then i put the middle stick down into 2nd gear and it got stuck there. neither of the buttons would depress to allow it to shift. after jiggling the linkage underneath the car i got it back up and into 3rd then it would move to neutral and get stuck again and the with more jiggling we got it into park. Car comes with a nos stripe kit and every part that came off of it. What do you guys think the cars worth as it sits and what is that stripe kit worth? Thanks
imagejpeg_10.jpg
imagejpeg_20.jpg
ps thats not bondo its the original paint and primer that was left there to help fill low spots
imagejpeg11_0.jpg
imagejpeg12_1.jpg
imagejpeg_30.jpg

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What does a quality paint job cost in your area? It will never be a show car and sounds like the condition of a 138,000 mile car. If the trans needs rebuilt, add at least another thousand plus a rebuild of the shifter. Mice can cause a lot of damage, check for entry points into any of the seats. Why did he leave the window down?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't think I would feel bad in the $1500- $2000 range. I base that on the fact that you can buy a pretty nice car with a nice interior and shiney paint that runs and drives in the $3500- $4000 range.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Contact Phoenix graphics for the cost of the stripe kit, or look it up on gbody parts.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I might buy the 38k mile claim only because of the eagle gt's. Either they are original or it saw 138k quickly and those were purchased in the late 80's when they still made them.
Sadly though, its a project, not a survivor. I couldn't see more than a few thousand either.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
I believe his 38k mile claim. I trust him. But yes pretty much if I told you it was 138k you wouldn't doubt it. My paint guy said he could do it for about 3500.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Judging by the tach and temp gauge it is still in running condition at least. If you really want it, and have the money for it, I'd say go ahead. But with mice, it could open a whole can of electrical worms.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
No more than $1500, you are going to be eating a lot of extras reassembling it if he doesn't have everything in order.

H/O84

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2016
He want $5k for it but he knows that's high. Not sure how much he will move I think it will be a good candidate to make into a mean street car. Still has the 3.73 8.5 rear in it. It started and ran great. The back seat is out and there were no mice that direction. All the wires I saw under the dash looked good only spot I could see was under the nest and I couldn't get my hand up there to pull it out and check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor