Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
3_wire_plug.jpg

this is on my 84 project.
it had the 4.3 6 cyl and I put everything for the ac onto the 350 I put in.
I tried to charge the ac yesterday but could not get it to cycle.i thought I had all of the wires hooked up correctly.
I started looking at some plugs that I wasn't sure where they went and found that if I put a test lite on the batt neg and probed this plug for 12 volts that the compressor would kick on when I probed one of the wires in it.i ran a ground to it to get the system charged but I don't know where this plug goes.can I jusy cut the plug off and run the one wire always to ground?also when I ground this I can hear a click on the firewall behind the distributer.does this have something to do with the power steeing ac cutout circuit?i put a new ps hose on but got the one wo the cutout on it.any ideas?

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
I found the plug that goes to the one in the pic.it was in the computer harness that was cut at the fender so I guess it gets grounded somehow thru the computer.also when the clutch engages I can feel that a square solenoid also clicks right on the firewall behind the distributer.
I plugged the connector in and grounded the wire that made it engage.then I started it with ac on max and all was fine for about 5 to 8 min.i heard a pop and the pressure relief valve went on the compressor letting out just about all of the Freon.
now I'm really confused.
when I restarted it it would not engage the clutch so I guess its too low on Freon.i jumped the low pressure switch and touched the wire again to ground briefly and it still engaged the clutch.
any ideas?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I'm not aware of a pressure relief valve? Did you have gauges on it? If so what were the pressures when it popped? I'm not familiar with that wiring. My car doesn't have any of it. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor